New Bass Day!!!

Everything guitar, bass, acoustic, banjo, etc
Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

New Bass Day!!!

Post by Gasgano » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 am

Pictures to come, but pulled the trigger on a 5-string Dingwall Combustion NG2 after visiting their factory in Saskatoon last week on a work trip.

That multiscale neck is otherworldly. Never heard a B string this tight before. B, C, C#/Db, D and D#/Eb actually sound like notes, not some inaudible grumble.

It is compact, lightweight, yet the Darkglass EQ packs some serious punch.

The hype is real. I am in love and will eventually get a Canadian-made one like in my dreams, but the 2-year (yup!) wait time makes this one a good value.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: New Bass Day!!!

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:36 am

Oh... they are amazing. I have a friend who has a couple of them.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am

They look so crazy, but I have only heard good things about those guitar necks. Congratulations!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Here is a picture.

Considering making the pickguard orange with a carbon fiber texture to give it a little personality of its own. Thoughts?

I've played a lot with it yesterday and I've come to some conclusions.

- I've played with a lot of Ibanez SRs in my early days. Liked the string spacing, the short headstock and the light weight, as well as the coverd poles on the pickups as I have a strong attack and like to play with low action so the occasional "pop" would happen with exposed poles.

- I've owned an American-made MM Stingray 5. Liked the speed of the neck, string spacing was a little large for me but still acceptable. Liked the craftsmanship and the hig-end modern features (easy battery compartment, truss rod adjustement easily accessible, etc.) as well as the active pickups that really were a better presence than the Ibanez, but IT WAS HEAVY. Also, the exposed poles are a problem for me.

- I've owned (and still own) an American-made MM Sterling 5. Same neck as the Stingray, same pickups and EQ (I know they are different now, but because of years purhcased, both the Stingray5 and Sterling 5 I owned had the same pickups), but with a smaller body, and therefore a lighter bass.

Now, that Dingwall bass checks all the boxes and more, maybe except the craftsmanship, as this one is from their overseas production.

It has the string spacing, weight, form factor and soapbar pickups of the Ibanez.
It has the presence, the fast neck and the modern features of the MM.
It has fanned frets, and therefore the most audible B-string I've ever played.

I feel I found my long-lost mobility with it in my hands without sacrificing my presence in the mix this time around.

A Canadian-made one will likely check that last craftsmanship box to make it the absolutely ideal bass for old me haha.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:06 pm

YES to the pickguard! The original one has a 2000s sports shoe look.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:57 pm

Those Dingwalls always look incredible 8-) congrats!

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Years ago when I bought my "proper" bass I chose a MM stingray 4 SLO. It is a standard Stingray but with a narrower neck (think Jazz bass).

I love my Stingray, and it will remain my main bass.

But it was a compromise based on price and availability. I've always wanted a Dingwall:
https://dingwallguitars.com/bass/afterburner-i/

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:00 pm

Gasgano wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 pm
Considering making the pickguard orange with a carbon fiber texture to give it a little personality of its own. Thoughts?
I've always been a bit conservative with stuff like this. It feels to me like a bright orange pickguard would be a bit like the instrument saying "look at me, look at me" when the fact it is a Dingwall will tell all the story it will need to tell.

Just an opinion and worth exactly nothing... perhaps an understated colour scheme?