Another thrift store find

Everything guitar, bass, acoustic, banjo, etc
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Another thrift store find

Post by laurie » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:31 am

This is a "Harley Benton". I only vaguely knew of them. Made in Vietnam. Quality seems very good. Not a mark on it, and no wear of any kind. Set neck. I really like the colour. USD$50.

Needs a full set of hardware, but I have a lot of that in the parts-bin. I think the only thing I'll need to buy is the tremolo bridge - it takes a standard strat bridge.

It seems to be a bit of happy hunting around town at the moment.
20220830_191905sml.jpg
20220830_191905sml.jpg (119.47 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Last edited by laurie on Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Another thrift store find

Post by Pepe » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:11 am

These are very common in Germany, since "Harley Benton" is the own-label of the big music shop "Thomann". Normally they cost a fraction of the famous guitars they copy.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:29 pm

Thanks pepe! Designed/engineered in Germany, made in Vietnam. That seems good to me!

I have *no* idea why someone would have stripped all the hardware off and donated the body to the thrift store. All that was left on the body was the nut and strap buttons. Perhaps they used it as a donor for a parts-caster or something.

Whatever the story, it has never been used. It is like new.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:02 pm

Decided to order all new hardware rather than raiding the parts-bin.

Have some vintage-wound zebra pickups plus all the other stuff coming. Had to order a sheet of pickguard material to let me fabricate the cover for the controls cavity. Everything else looks to be standard.

I use these guys for parts. 100% positive feedback and everything I've ever bought from them has been very good quality.

https://www.ebay.ca/str/musicalaccessorieswholesaler

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm

Here it is with all the hardware installed. The acoustic tone and sustain are very good.

Just needs a full setup and the fabrication of the plastic covers for the back and it will be done.

Hmmm... pepe - do you know if you can buy parts for these (the covers) from Thomann?
HB1.jpg
HB1.jpg (232.42 KiB) Viewed 4080 times

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:26 pm

The zebra pickups I bought from China were supposed to be "vintage spec". They weren't ... very (very) hot. Would be good for metal/shredding I suppose, but they weren't what I was looking for.

I picked up a used pair of Seymour Duncan PAF spec pickups here and installed them. Very happy with it now. I have two guitars out in the everyday-player rack - my USA strat and the Harley Benton as the humbucker loaded guitar.

A big thanks to pepe who helped me get a set of covers for the back of the guitar from Germany.
Benton_back.jpg
Benton_back.jpg (160.35 KiB) Viewed 3786 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:30 pm

Great to see that they fit!

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:18 pm

One year on...

It came from a thrift store with all the hardware stripped. My intent was to rescue it with inexpensive hardware and electronics and then likely pass it on. With the upgrades, it now owes me about USD$350.

It doesn't hold tune perfectly, it has "idiosyncrasies". Personality. But... You know when you have an instrument and you just can't explain why it is "the one"? This is that instrument for me, at least for now. It is my go-to. Above all the others, including the genuine Gibson's and Fenders.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:31 pm

Interesting! I hadn't thought that this would happen.

Mesjoggah

Post by Mesjoggah » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:51 pm

laurie wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:18 pm
One year on...

It came from a thrift store with all the hardware stripped. My intent was to rescue it with inexpensive hardware and electronics and then likely pass it on. With the upgrades, it now owes me about USD$350.

It doesn't hold tune perfectly, it has "idiosyncrasies". Personality. But... You know when you have an instrument and you just can't explain why it is "the one"? This is that instrument for me, at least for now. It is my go-to. Above all the others, including the genuine Gibson's and Fenders.
Do we have to wait another year for an upgrade now? :D