Quick hello and some 90's goodies

GrindCore84

Quick hello and some 90's goodies

Post by GrindCore84 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:25 am

First post here because though I rely heavily on Boss pedals, they're all very standard, in-production units which probably wouldn't be too exciting to the folks here.

In the last few weeks though I've found a couple of pedals im super happy with, and wanted to share here because I thought maybe some folks would understand why I'm so excited about them.
resize1-1.jpg
resize1-1.jpg (183.35 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
IMG_20220622_201502-1.jpg
IMG_20220622_201502-1.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
The BF-2 came with a fairly clean box, but the unit itself is absolutely mint. It took a while to find one in this condition at a good price, but it was worth the wait.

The SD-2 took much longer to find. All the minty ones seemed to be priced for collectors, and any example in my price range was pretty trashed. This one was under $100 and is super clean. Again, very much worth the wait. It's a 1993 model, apparently the darker sounding of the two versions. I love it so far, it's certainly going on the board.

With these two I now have a board of six Boss units, meaning I can finally look into fulfilling 15-year-old-me's dream of filling a BCB-60!

Hope this post finds you all well, I've really enjoyed lurking on here the last couple of years and I'm glad to finally post something :)

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Quick hello and some 90's goodies

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:37 am

Welcome!!

Lots of love here for those pedals. Rare to find them in such good condition.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:11 pm

You have a couple of good ones there ! Such great condition.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your pix. :D

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum! These are indeed very cool pedals. Always great to see time-capsule units like yours!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Beautiful units, congrats and welcome GrindCore84.
GrindCore84 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:25 am
It's a 1993 model, apparently the darker sounding of the two versions.
Since I am a variant collector, can you please elaborate about that, I never heard about the SD-2 having different versions.

Mine is from DEC 1993, therefore it also would be a darker one?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:03 pm

Oh, you haven't heard of it? There was some content about that in the previous iterations of our forum. I think the brighter sounding units have a different capacitor and resistor somewhere or something like that.

(You do know, though, that the early PS-2 had hissing noise - really awful - due to other capacitor values and two missing caps?)

GrindCore84

Post by GrindCore84 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome everyone!
Old_Iron wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Since I am a variant collector, can you please elaborate about that, I never heard about the SD-2 having different versions.

Mine is from DEC 1993, therefore it also would be a darker one?
Have a look at post #17 on here, it shows the extra cap and how to spot it by looking at the back of the board

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/npd-x2-ib ... -2.768921/

I suppose yours will probably be missing c100 as they added it later on in the production run, but it seems easy to check. I'm certainly no expert on Boss variants :) I stumbled across the fact while researching the pedal- I'm always interested in the technical stuff because I went through a building phase a few years ago. The fairly bonkers design of the SD-2 is what attracted me to it.

Crazy to think there's a second variant of a pedal only made for 5 years, I guess this means you need to track down another one!

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:50 pm

GrindCore84 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:19 pm
I guess this means you need to track down another one!
Thems fighting words for Old_Iron

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm

Haha, yeah!

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:34 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:03 pm
Oh, you haven't heard of it? There was some content about that in the previous iterations of our forum. I think the brighter sounding units have a different capacitor and resistor somewhere or something like that.

(You do know, though, that the early PS-2 had hissing noise - really awful - due to other capacitor values and two missing caps?)
It's incredible, when you think there's nothing new to you about Boss compact line, something pops out and you have to add another variant in your missing list. :lol:

About the PS-2, yep, I knew that Pepe, here they are, the good, the bad and the ugly:

GrindCore84 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:19 pm
Have a look at post #17 on here, it shows the extra cap and how to spot it by looking at the back of the board

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/npd-x2-ib ... -2.768921/

I suppose yours will probably be missing c100 as they added it later on in the production run, but it seems easy to check. I'm certainly no expert on Boss variants :) I stumbled across the fact while researching the pedal- I'm always interested in the technical stuff because I went through a building phase a few years ago. The fairly bonkers design of the SD-2 is what attracted me to it.

Crazy to think there's a second variant of a pedal only made for 5 years, I guess this means you need to track down another one!
Thank you GrindCore84, nice piece of information.

Yes, as I said before, Boss is like a baby's butt, you never know what will come out of it. :lol:

As supposedly, mine is the early darker version, without C100:

laurie wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:50 pm
Thems fighting words for Old_Iron
Oh boy, already added to my missing list (that is the real NeverEnding Story). :lol: