New Boss Katana-500 Bass Head + Katana Cabinet 112

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

New Boss Katana-500 Bass Head + Katana Cabinet 112

Post by BearBoy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 pm

The Katana-500 Bass Head raises professional bass amplification to the next level with advanced BOSS technology. Refined preamp circuity and the newly developed 500-watt Class D power amp support your touch and technique with deeply expressive tones. And with the innovative Cab Resonance feature, you can quickly calibrate the amplifier’s output voice to achieve the ideal response with any speaker cabinet. You also get a wide range of premium tools to shape your personal sound, plus expansive connectivity for every playing situation.

Main Features
  • Compact 500-watt bass amplifier head with professional tone tools for serious players
  • Next-level performance with a newly developed Class D power amp and innovative Cab Resonance calibration
  • Enhance the core bass sound for different styles with two Amp Feel settings
  • Wide-ranging four-band EQ, including low-mid and high-mid controls with three adjustable frequency settings
  • Compressor and drive controls, each with three selectable types
  • Shape switch with mid-scoop, bright, and wide-range options
  • Bottom knob to tighten the sound and eliminate sub-bass rumble
  • Hi Cut button with three selectable frequencies
  • Blend knob to mix in the dry bass sound
  • Pad switch to optimize the input for high-output active pickups
  • Onboard memory for saving and recalling a custom setup with a touch
  • Two high-current speaker outputs with robust locking connectors
  • XLR line output and headphones/recording jack
  • Edit tones and access over 60 effects with BOSS Tone Studio for Windows/macOS
  • USB connector for communicating with BOSS Tone Studio and audio recording/playback with music production software
  • Download and share Livesets at BOSS Tone Exchange
  • Optional Bluetooth® Audio MIDI Dual Adaptor allows you to edit sounds and stream audio from an iOS or Android mobile device
  • Optional GA-FC and GA-FC EX foot controllers for remote operation on stage
  • Optional companion speaker cabinet: Katana Cabinet 112 Bass
Matching Cabinet:

Katana-500 Link

Katana Cabinet 112 Bass Link

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Boss Katana-500 Bass Head + Katana Cabinet 112

Post by Dirk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm

Looks good on paper.
Not sure why people would wanna buy an amp from a pedal manufacturer though?
However, if the price is on point, why not?

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm
Not sure why people would wanna buy an amp from a pedal manufacturer though?
Pretty much every local shop I know, the Katana has been their best selling guitar amp for the past 5 years by a pretty wide margin. I don't think the Bass line has had nearly as much success though.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

Yeah, the guy who owns Andertons has mentioned in a number of their videos that they sell more Katana (guitar) amps than anything else.

Never actually tried one myself.

zentropa
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

The Katana guitar amps are a really good value. I picked up a Katana 50 a while ago for $50 at a pawn shop to mess around with before I resold it. It did a lot of sounds, had power rated in tube watts, could be run at 50/25/0.5 watts, was compact and lightweight with a lot of features, decent sounding, etc. I didn't love it, but for a hobbyist or beginner, but the Katanas do sound quite a bit better than most of the amps in its price class.

I do know a lot of gigging musicians locally have switched to them because they are very portable and cheap, so they don't care if they get beat up from wear and tear.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:19 pm

The Katana guitar amps are great. I like how they are pretty straight forward, but you can deep dive when using Tone Studio.
I totally understand how gigging players like to use them. You can set it up to be pretty similar to your favorite type of amp and then get the benefit of plug and play as well as not beating up your favorite amp. Plus, if it gets stolen, it's a cheap replacement.

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 pm

Not a big GAS guy with amps, but this one has the bass player in me intrigued, although I already use a similar combination (Rumble 112 V2 Cab (back when they made them with Neo Magnets)) and an Ampeg Portaflex PF-350.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 pm

The bassist in me also likes the Katana format. Lots of features and tweaks available on the panel, but a deep dive into the Tone Studio editor really brings out the details.
I tend to play simple heads and use one of my three bass boards for the needed effects and processing. If an amp is not needed, I use floor preamps/DI boxes (Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig-which is pretty much stand alone with the necessary stuff-and a MXR Bass DI+ which can use a pedalboard).
I already have a similar type of head, a TC BH250. Granted, compared to the Katana, it's not as powerful and less flexible, The Katana with a GA-FC would do everything I would need with an additional tuner. Though selective Tone Prints can usually take care of the needs of the situation. The TC is smaller and has a tuner, which is great. I have done many gigs with both the TC head and the Fly Rig, with the other in the accessory bag as a backup.

In the long run, I would feel a little more confident with the Katana build, as Boss makes reliable gear. The current TC stuff is ok. My head has been working fine, but I do read about a lot of failures.

Kulten
SBZ: Copper

Post by Kulten » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 pm

I play on a Peavey Mark VI with a 2 x 10 cab, 250 W, loud enough and not too hard to carry. I love it. My sound. But I MUST try this Boss 500 W... less encumbrance, more power...