Waza G12W Speaker, anyone?

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
bigtone23

Waza G12W Speaker, anyone?

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:45 am

So, a local store had a Katana Artist that had it’s cab semi destroyed by UPS handling. They decided it was not worth trying to fix and were going to trash it. I asked if I could grab a couple things off of it.
“Help yourself, it’s going in the trash.”
…music to my ears
I grabbed what I could pull in 5 minutes with just a Philips screwdriver; the speaker, handle, upgraded Ploynk combo amp speaker cable and the BOSS and Waza cab logos.

The speaker always caught my eye with its Greenback inspired appearance with the frame and Wazafied magnet cover. The Katana Artist always sounded great to me, but how could I know what the speaker was really doing for the sound? The assumption was that it’s certainly a good speaker.
When it was out of the amp, it was apparent that the cone and dust cap were identical to a Greenback!
Well, once home, looked up the specs, it’s essentially a 100w Greenback copy. Cool! Also, it’s stupid expensive new, so I really scored.
Tried it out in my Peavey Special 130 (usually loaded with a Scorpion) and Mesa IIC+ (usually loaded with a MC90) combos. It sounds great! Really opened up the Special 130. Classic Celestion G12M tone. Also, it’s not a heavy speaker. Weighs in just the same as a G12M.
Color me impressed! BOSS, as usual, really did their homework on this. It’s brilliant.
Anyone else have opinions on it?

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Waza G12W Speaker, anyone?

Post by laurie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:57 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:45 am
So, a local store had a Katana Artist that had it’s cab semi destroyed by UPS handling. They decided it was not worth trying to fix and were going to trash it. I asked if I could grab a couple things off of it.
“Help yourself, it’s going in the trash.”
…music to my ears
I grabbed what I could pull in 5 minutes with just a Philips screwdriver; the speaker, handle, upgraded Ploynk combo amp speaker cable and the BOSS and Waza cab logos.

The speaker always caught my eye with its Greenback inspired appearance with the frame and Wazafied magnet cover. The Katana Artist always sounded great to me, but how could I know what the speaker was really doing for the sound? The assumption was that it’s certainly a good speaker.
When it was out of the amp, it was apparent that the cone and dust cap were identical to a Greenback!
Well, once home, looked up the specs, it’s essentially a 100w Greenback copy. Cool! Also, it’s stupid expensive new, so I really scored.
Tried it out in my Peavey Special 130 (usually loaded with a Scorpion) and Mesa IIC+ (usually loaded with a MC90) combos. It sounds great! Really opened up the Special 130. Classic Celestion G12M tone. Also, it’s not a heavy speaker. Weighs in just the same as a G12M.
Color me impressed! BOSS, as usual, really did their homework on this. It’s brilliant.
Anyone else have opinions on it?
Great score!

I always found the Scorpions to be very "agricultural". Glad the sound has opened up for that amp!

bigtone23

Re: Waza G12W Speaker, anyone?

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:22 am

Yep. I like Scorpions, but they are pretty rolled off on the high end, for sure.