NPD: Roland AP-7

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
fuzzbuzzfuzz

NPD: Roland AP-7

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:54 am

I had a "Larry Graham '' signed AP-7 a while back that I regretted selling (for very little!), so it's nice to pick up a clean looking replacement.

Apparently there is an issue with one of the modes and one of the footswitches is "loose", issues hopefully that can be tidied up with some maintenance and cleaning. The average price here for AP-7s is around 50,000 yen ($500) which is unfeasible, I paid around half that so fingers crossed it's a winner! Incoming in the next few days. Pics to follow...

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: NPD: Roland AP-7

Post by laurie » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:16 am

Nice score!

These are simple beasts - I can help talking through fault finding if normal maintenance doesn't fix the issues.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:54 am
I had a "Larry Graham '' signed AP-7 a while back that I regretted selling
:shock:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:53 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:16 am
Nice score!

These are simple beasts - I can help talking through fault finding if normal maintenance doesn't fix the issues.
Thanks, I'm optismistic but sometimes a wiser head is appreciated!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:55 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:54 am
I had a "Larry Graham '' signed AP-7 a while back that I regretted selling
:shock:
I know, I know....I sold it for peanuts too! :(

At the time it was above my budget and was bought to sell for the "family pot". I should have kept it!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 am

So much to my surprise the Roland AP-7 arrived last night, and even more surprising it worked perfectly fine after a bit of operating, Initially mode 1 did not engage, but simply rotating the knob a bit cleared the issue.

Quite a large box but not unduly heavy. Two 9v batteries required to be squeezed in (be nice to pick up some form of adaptor).

Overall very pleased to add it to the collection, quite versatile with the Fuzz circuit and after playing a wee while I settled on using the phaser only Mode 2 to ape some nice Leslie tones. The ramp feature, slowly increasing/decreasing the speed after hitting the switch is a lovely authentic touch.

At some point I will run it up against the AP-5 and AP-2 to compare, though from memory it's very much in that Roland/Boss ballpark phaser tone, very 70s, quite "sweet" but also quite a strong noticeable tone. For reference I played "Summer Breeze" by the Isley Brothers.

Also inspired me to pull out a couple of other phasers, leading to my wife imitating the "whooo, whoo" sound in jest over dinner lol.

(Sidenote: Slippery slope time but I noticed an Ace Tone LH-100 Phaser pop up too (I'd missed one a while back). It would be interesting to see how it compares with the Roland offerings. 3 controls, stereo outs. There are some YouTube videos demonstrating the operation, the sound seems very close if not the same to the Rolands. Can't quite justify it at the moment though!)

Some pertinant info here:

https://catalinbread.com/blogs/kulas-ca ... jet-phaser

https://archive.org/details/Roland_Jet_ ... 5/mode/2up
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Last edited by fuzzbuzzfuzz on Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:07 am

This is "the shit". Congratulations. I'd be very pleased to own one of these myself.
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 am
leading to my wife imitating the "whooo, whoo" sound in jest over dinner lol.
Where I come from that's called "taking the piss" ... and my wife would do it too without hesitation 8-)

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:16 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:07 am
This is "the shit". Congratulations. I'd be very pleased to own one of these myself.
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Where I come from that's called "taking the piss" ... and my wife would do it too without hesitation 8-)
Absolutely, very chuffed. Made up for a tough work week! Nice to come back a and look at it and think, "YEAH!" :D

Indeed she knows me well, and the constant pile of mailed boxes that arrive each week, "Is it OK?!" in Japanese she says... :lol:

Guitars I sneak in though!

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:33 am

The sounds of a happy marriage!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:55 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:07 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Ooh nice picture update there Laurie, TB2 in yellow or is it gold?

Now, a TB1 please in gold!! 8-)