BCB-6G?

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
bigtone23

Re: BCB-6G?

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:42 am

zentropa wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:22 pm
I just picked up a 7th one of these even though I definitely didn't need it.

I had sort of resigned myself long ago to needing to use a pedal to power them and I had a TU-2 on each of these. A couple of days ago I started thinking there must be some kind of adapter to where I could connect a power supply to one of the unoccupied power plugs and a quick amazon search revealed that yes, they do exist and are cheap (~$1 each in a multi-pack). They arrived yesterday and worked fine, which means that I can sell off 6 TU-2. The downside is that now I have 2 empty boards and no clue with what to fill them with.
Ha! I went old school on my BCB6 boards: PSM5 and a TU12H in the upper compartment.
If I had a BCB6G, I might just swap the PSM5 for a TU2/TU3. However, I do mostly like the loop and the ability to bypass. Even with just 5 pedals, you can hear the effect of having those 1/4" interconnections and buffers on the signal.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:36 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:42 am
Even with just 5 pedals, you can hear the effect of having those 1/4" interconnections and buffers on the signal.
This is absolutely right. It also depends which pedals you use, because some BOSS pedals have rather good and some rather bad bypass. I did a test once and I was quite shocked how the quality of the guitar signal was lost with a longer pedal chain.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:29 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:42 am
Ha! I went old school on my BCB6 boards: PSM5 and a TU12H in the upper compartment.
If I had a BCB6G, I might just swap the PSM5 for a TU2/TU3. However, I do mostly like the loop and the ability to bypass. Even with just 5 pedals, you can hear the effect of having those 1/4" interconnections and buffers on the signal.
I have the TU-12s in the upper compartments of my BCB-60s and Behringer PB-1000s.

I specifically didn't use PSM-5 because I found the volume jump from bypassing the pedal chain to be too much. It was so much so that my amp settings weren't viable for both ways. I usually just compensate on my amp for the tone suck. If I could to back in time I probably would have used NS-2s. I find the buffers in those to be superb and liven up the whole chain. Back when I was gigging, I used the TU-2 live as a mute, but since I have no intention of playing out anymore, I figured I can stick to my headstock tuners and free up some $.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:24 am

I think I've mentioned it elsewhere here but indeed a big fan of the 6G - I've seen a mere 1 here in Japan! And I bought it :D

Much better with the deeper cutouts to fit PN-2s etc.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:53 am

I really wish I could find a BCB6G, being able to directly patch to the side jacks on the outside pedals would be optimal for my next idea.

However, NPBD!
This BCB6/PSM5/full Mogami cable package popped up locally for $100US. Being a BOSS bargain junkie, it was a no brainer to scoop it up. It’s time machine clean. The PSM5 is from June '85 and the board from '87ish, the serial is hard to read, but starts with an 8. The power supply is a HPro/DOD PS200R instead of a BOSS PSA, but it’s 300mA, quiet, and has a 90 degree plug, which is ideal with the PSM5 in these boards. I’ll probably switch it out with a juicier 1700mA 1 Spot, if the pedals call for it.
I do need to get some 15mm foam for the lid. Pretty sure there is some in the garage.
This makes my 3rd BCB6 in the family, and joins a BCB3, too.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:47 am

That looks in amazing condition considering it's about 35 years old.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:23 pm

Unbelievably clean! Nice score.

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Nice score.

The 6Gs are definitely much harder to come by although i have seen more of them in the past 5 years than the previous 20 combined.