BCB-6G?

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re: BCB-6G?

Post by zentropa » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:48 pm

Old thread, but my first time back. Some may remember me from stompboxzone and the old bossarea forums.

I wanted to chime in on this as I have owned about 50 of the boss boards over the years. I currently have 6 of the BCB-6G, 3 BCB-60, 5 BCB-3, and 3 Behringer PB1000.

I consider the 6G kind of the holy grail of their boards and having tried to get them over the past 20 years I have found these are the hardest to find. While they hit the market more now, for about a decade there would be somewhere in the realm of 0 to 4 pop up on ebay per year.

The pedal paint tends to only happen until the board is broken in. I had this problem with the boards I got new, but the used ones I have all have worn down tabs, so there isn't any paint rub happening.

Most of the differences have been listed but a quick summary:
-More cutout space between pedals, which accommodate different types of plugs. The V1 and V2 BCB-6 could only comfortably use cables with very narrow plugs.
-Cutouts at each end, so you can plug into the right side and out of the left. The V1 and V2 BCB-6 required the use of riser pads or a PSM-5. I believe the original release of the NS-2 included adhesive risers.
-Uncovered power cable cavity (I view this as an upgrade). While it doesn't look as neat, the V1 and V2 BCB-6 strip was only optimized for pedals with the power jack at the bottom of the pedal. Pedals with a board mounted power jack will cause stress to the plug on the parallel DC cable.
-It has cutouts for an 8-way parallel DC to reach both upper compartments. The V1 BCB-6 didn't have this, but the V2 does.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 pm

Welcome back! And thanks for the information about this board.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:14 pm

Thank you.

I should probably add when I reference BCB-6 V1 and V2...
The V1 has the flap/snap latches that were prone to breaking over time. These used the 6-way parallel DC cables.
The V2 has the slide latches and added cutaways for the parallel DC cable to reach the upper compartments. The parallel DC cables were upgraded to 8-way during this era.

Both have no cutouts between pedals or at the ends of the case and a plastic strip to cover the parallel DC cable.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:08 am

ah yes! Welcome back!

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 am

Thank you.

Every time I see a disgustingly expensive Russian Big Muff in a shop it makes me think of you, Laurie :D

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am

zentropa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 am
Thank you.

Every time I see a disgustingly expensive Russian Big Muff in a shop it makes me think of you, Laurie :D
Well that's an interesting comment :D
I've likely forgotten why that might be the case?

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:49 pm

Wasn't natthu the Russian Big Muff addict?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:38 pm

laurie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am
Well that's an interesting comment :D
I've likely forgotten why that might be the case?
I sold you mine for $100-125 about 15 years ago.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:06 pm

zentropa wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:48 pm
I consider the 6G kind of the holy grail of their boards and having tried to get them over the past 20 years I have found these are the hardest to find. While they hit the market more now, for about a decade there would be somewhere in the realm of 0 to 4 pop up on ebay per year.

The pedal paint tends to only happen until the board is broken in. I had this problem with the boards I got new, but the used ones I have all have worn down tabs, so there isn't any paint rub happening.

Most of the differences have been listed but a quick summary:
-More cutout space between pedals, which accommodate different types of plugs. The V1 and V2 BCB-6 could only comfortably use cables with very narrow plugs.
-Cutouts at each end, so you can plug into the right side and out of the left. The V1 and V2 BCB-6 required the use of riser pads or a PSM-5. I believe the original release of the NS-2 included adhesive risers.
-Uncovered power cable cavity (I view this as an upgrade). While it doesn't look as neat, the V1 and V2 BCB-6 strip was only optimized for pedals with the power jack at the bottom of the pedal. Pedals with a board mounted power jack will cause stress to the plug on the parallel DC cable.
-It has cutouts for an 8-way parallel DC to reach both upper compartments. The V1 BCB-6 didn't have this, but the V2 does.
Great info! I also see the 6G as the best of the series. If one pops up, I'm sure to grab it. I have a bass board that could benefit from the small design changes from the 6.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:22 pm

I just picked up a 7th one of these even though I definitely didn't need it.

I had sort of resigned myself long ago to needing to use a pedal to power them and I had a TU-2 on each of these. A couple of days ago I started thinking there must be some kind of adapter to where I could connect a power supply to one of the unoccupied power plugs and a quick amazon search revealed that yes, they do exist and are cheap (~$1 each in a multi-pack). They arrived yesterday and worked fine, which means that I can sell off 6 TU-2. The downside is that now I have 2 empty boards and no clue with what to fill them with.