BCB-6G?

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
bigtone23

BCB-6G?

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Saw one of these pop up in a FB feed.
What's the deal with the BCB-6G vs the BCB-6? I don't see any obvious differences other than the cable channel that houses the daisy chain and loop return is not covered with that slide/snap in piece.
This is purely for my own info. Web searches only show pics and ones for sale.

Old_Iron

Re: BCB-6G?

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm
What's the deal with the BCB-6G vs the BCB-6? I don't see any obvious differences other than the cable channel that houses the daisy chain and loop return is not covered with that slide/snap in piece.
Just an evolution of the same product, no big difference other than the way they hold the pedals.

The BCB-6G has those 4 pressure points that, over time, damage the pedal paint, and the new ones holds the pedals in place with EVA mats cutouts, much better.

The BCB-6G became BCB-6, BCB-6 became BCB-60 and BCB-60 became the new BCB-90X, that houses 9+ pedals instead of only 6.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:34 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 am
bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm
Just an evolution of the same product, no big difference other than the way they hold the pedals.

The BCB-6G has those 4 pressure points that, over time, damage the pedal paint, and the new ones holds the pedals in place with EVA mats cutouts, much better.

The BCB-6G became BCB-6, BCB-6 became BCB-60 and BCB-60 became the new BCB-90X, that houses 9+ pedals instead of only 6.
Very cool. Thank you!

Fallen_lassen
SBZ: Silver

Post by Fallen_lassen » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:20 pm

The bcb 6g. Is perfect when you want to play in stereo and want to use other cables than the Boss ones.
Because there is a cut out for the in and the outputs.
To me it seems the bcb6g is the new and improved version of the bcb6(back in the day, that is).

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:29 pm

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:20 pm
The bcb 6g. Is perfect when you want to play in stereo and want to use other cables than the Boss ones.
To me it seems the bcb6g is the new and improved version of the bcb6(back in the day, that is).
I thought that the 6G came first and the 6 after, but I can be wrong about that, sorry.

You're right about the cables, I have 2 BCB-60 and had to make my guitar cables with planet waves "L" plugs, because I don't use those in and out ports, I prefer to plug direct into the first and last pedals, and only a "L" shape plug fits.

The patch cables I use the Boss original ones.

But still, the best method to hold the pedals is the EVA foam cutouts. Before to use the BCB-60, I used the smaller BCB-30 and those 4 pressure points scratched my pedals paint.

So, sorry again, I should have said:

The BCB-6 and 6G have those 4 pressure points that, over time, damage the pedal paint, and the new ones holds the pedals in place with EVA mats cutouts, much better.

The BCB-6 became BCB-6G, BCB-6G became BCB-60 and BCB-60 became the new BCB-90X, that houses 9+ pedals instead of only 6.

Fallen_lassen
SBZ: Silver

Post by Fallen_lassen » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am

The Boss book page 84. Tells a little history about the bcb cases. If you want prove 😀.
And yes this pressure points are a hazard for the paint of our beloved pedals 🥲.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:11 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Agreed! I was surprised to pick one of these up in recent years, I've only seen one in my time in Japan, and that was it! For pedals like the PN-2 etc it is perfect.

I sometimes file those little noggins on the cases down to alleviate concerns about pedal scratching. I have an older BCB-3 that's almost impossible to get any pedals in at all!

The BCB-60 is a useful case/system but the overall weight and size (particulaly width when carrying by your side) was very cumbersom.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:07 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:11 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Agreed! I was surprised to pick one of these up in recent years, I've only seen one in my time in Japan, and that was it! For pedals like the PN-2 etc it is perfect.

I sometimes file those little noggins on the cases down to alleviate concerns about pedal scratching. I have an older BCB-3 that's almost impossible to get any pedals in at all!
I have never seen a BCB6G in person, but I do really like the design. Much easier accommodation for stereo pedals or when you don't loop the cable back to a PSM5 or LS2, but just patch through to the amp.
I also have a BCB3 that took a little filing to fit pedals better!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:57 am

https://youtu.be/8mvmDhej5MQ
Watched a "Ask Zac" video on his 1992 pedalboard, which was a BCB6G loaded with 4 Boss pedals an 808 and Tremulator.
I liked how he used to PSM5 to select his signal to go between mute/TU12H and into the pedals to the amp. Easily done with those end cut outs on the BCB6G, not so much with my BCB6, unless I used a right angle cable.
Later in the video, he showed his current board, which was pretty much the same effects, but switched out (Echo Park for the DD2, TR2 for the Demeter, etc...) However, it's still about 1/2 Boss!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:18 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:07 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:11 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:

I have never seen a BCB6G in person, but I do really like the design. Much easier accommodation for stereo pedals or when you don't loop the cable back to a PSM5 or LS2, but just patch through to the amp.
I also have a BCB3 that took a little filing to fit pedals better!
Exactly, I have a BCB3 waiting a good file, its impossible to get anything in there at the moment.

My only minor gripe with the 6G is they left the shallow power cable trough uncovered (as opposed to the plastic strip push fit insert on the BCB-6). A little untidy. Otherwise it is much more handy for those stereo pedals (and the higher placement of the power adaptor jacks), I like the almost black color too.

My TU-2 tuner came new (in about 2005?) with two perhaps half cm hard rubber riser stick ons to enable it to sit higher I assume in the old BCB-6. Haven't seen them since but they worked well.