Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Boss Micro Rack System

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 pm

snufkin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 pm
it's fairly glitchy (which is half the fun), two things might confuse it with the Mono/poly the paraphonic mode (it won't handle chords) and octave jumping from stacked osc or fast arpeggiations but I assume you want the slight glitchyness >:)
Yay! Sounds great, thanks for the information. 8-)
snufkin wrote:
Two RCL is a must, I would quite like a second RPH
I have a pair of the RCL-10, which is a really cool unit. The RPH-10 was not exactly my cup of tea. Not bad at all, just not the phaser sound that I prefer in any of the modes. Laurie helped me modifying two KORG KPH-401 phaser units (4-stage phasers) for my beloved PME-40X effects module system to work in sync or inverted sync mode for stereo options. I'm going to report about this in a separate post in the next days. It turned out to be absolutely fantastic! :D
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

snufkin

Post by snufkin » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 pm
snufkin wrote:
it's fairly glitchy (which is half the fun), two things might confuse it with the Mono/poly the paraphonic mode (it won't handle chords) and octave jumping from stacked osc or fast arpeggiations but I assume you want the slight glitchyness >:)
Yay! Sounds great, thanks for the information. 8-)
snufkin wrote:
Two RCL is a must, I would quite like a second RPH
I have a pair of the RCL-10, which is a really cool unit. The RPH-10 was not exactly my cup of tea. Not bad at all, just not the phaser sound that I prefer in any of the modes. Laurie helped me modifying two KORG KPH-401 phaser units (4-stage phasers) for my beloved PME-40X effects module system to work in sync or inverted sync mode for stereo options. I'm going to report about this in a separate post in the next days. It turned out to be absolutely fantastic! :D
That sounds like a cool mod to get a similar thing to the dual modulation linked rph-10s I love the PME stuff, almost picked up a few for dirt cheap. I do have two Korg X911 which sound great stacked and I always thought a PME side car with the Octave and Korg Wave Shaper would be cool to process raw guitar or the synth outputs for even more options hehe

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:40 pm

Ah, another X911 user! That's a rad synth with superb tracking, well, at least in my hands. I also have the MS-01 and MS-04 foot controllers, so a lot of sounds are possible while playing my Stratocaster. A cool trick is to link the CV output with the VCF input to achieve keyboard tracking. It does also work great as a little mono synth when I only have my BX-3 organ on stage.

I have a full set of the PME-40X series, including each two of the Octave V, Wave Shaper and Dist Wah, three Phasers (two of them finally modded), four Analog Delays and each two of the OverDrive and Chorus modules.

Errrrm ... I also have a full set of the following compact pedal series as well as almost anything that KORG did prior to these series. I really, really love all the 70s and 80s KORG effects, including the Mr. Multi and the KEIO Synthesizer Traveler which has become my favourite wah (yeah, I know: filter) pedal. There aren't too many empty spots in my KORG effects collection (I'm surely never going to get my hands on the Stage Echo units, but I can live with that) and I have spent several years gathering them all.

---

Getting back to the BOSS Micro Rack series: I also have the RRV-10 and ROD-10 which are both keepers. I have had an RDD-10 a while ago, but I sold it on. The short maximum delay time (only 400ms instead of 800ms as in the DD-2 or DD-3) was disappointing. The RCE-10 was nice as well, but I haven't found a real use for it.

snufkin

Post by snufkin » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:15 pm

Ah nice yes I like that trick, having two really opens up some fun possibilities, I run them with an Amdek DMK-100 analogue delay, a Boss BX-400 mixer and a massive Digitec (not Digiech) Big-Foot Digital delay which is like Digitec S-1024 rack modulation delay in a floor pedal format. I would quite like a few other mains powered MIJ bits to finish out the rig. For poly guitar synth stuff I found a cheap GR-300 G808 and restored them I also have a G202 controller. Both nice guitars.

Nice you have all the rare PME! what do you think of the digital delay ?

I have a full set of the Micro Rack bar the Panning Delay but I have a rule where I only buy them if I see them under £50 for a long time this was under £30 but I had to raise it to complete the set in recent times. I have had to fix a few but they are surprisingly OK to work on for such compact effects.

I used to have an FK-1 really nice pedal but I sold it to Ken MacBeth (the synth designer) for one of his friends. Very cool pedal wish I still had it.
I have a few of the original Korg Footswitches for my X911 but would love an MS-04 and some of the volume/blend pedals from the FK era to pair with it.

I have a Korg SE-500 which is lovely I bought it for £200 (which seemed allot to me at the time) and restored it.

Pepe wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:40 pm
Ah, another X911 user! That's a rad synth with superb tracking, well, at least in my hands. I also have the MS-01 and MS-04 foot controllers, so a lot of sounds are possible while playing my Stratocaster. A cool trick is to link the CV output with the VCF input to achieve keyboard tracking. It does also work great as a little mono synth when I only have my BX-3 organ on stage.

I have a full set of the PME-40X series, including each two of the Octave V, Wave Shaper and Dist Wah, three Phasers (two of them finally modded), four Analog Delays and each two of the OverDrive and Chorus modules.

Errrrm ... I also have a full set of the following compact pedal series as well as almost anything that KORG did prior to these series. I really, really love all the 70s and 80s KORG effects, including the Mr. Multi and the KEIO Synthesizer Traveler which has become my favourite wah (yeah, I know: filter) pedal. There aren't too many empty spots in my KORG effects collection (I'm surely never going to get my hands on the Stage Echo units, but I can live with that) and I have spent several years gathering them all.

---

Getting back to the BOSS Micro Rack series: I also have the RRV-10 and ROD-10 which are both keepers. I have had an RDD-10 a while ago, but I sold it on. The short maximum delay time (only 400ms instead of 800ms as in the DD-2 or DD-3) was disappointing. The RCE-10 was nice as well, but I haven't found a real use for it.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:54 pm

The Micro Rack units are indeed very service friendly with a very good layout. They have enormously increased in price throughout the last years.

The KORG KDD-501 Digital Delay is really nice! It works with a big NEC delay IC that has the size of the "long chip" in the BOSS DD-2 (or RDD-10). Overall it can be compared with the BOSS DD-2, but it has an added "High Damp" control which offers very useful sounds that stand well in the mix. The only issue is that it is noisier than a BOSS DD pedal, but overall it is a great unit. I think that the KDC-601 Digital Chorus has the same chip inside.