Boss GE-131 Rack Graphic Equalizer

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Boss GE-131 Rack Graphic Equalizer

Post by Ptak » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 am

Was dealing with some ice pick sounding highs on my Mark V. Noticed this rack (purchased from Long and Mcquade on March 10th '92 apparently :D ) on Kijiji for $60. Managed to get it for $40! Tossed it into my effects loop and I'm impressed with this model. I think it looks pretty cool as well! :mrgreen: Anybody else into the Boss rack lines?
Attachments
GE131 (Copy).JPG
GE131 (Copy).JPG (147.3 KiB) Viewed 10801 times

BenF

Re: Boss GE-131 Rack Graphic Equalizer

Post by BenF » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:52 pm

I certainly like the look of it, almost hypnotic. I would be tempted to always leave it in a perfect sinewave after each use.
I made some tools to date equipment :-
Boss pedals - Roland stuff - DOD pedals - Ibanez pedals - Pots and speakers

Ptak

Post by Ptak » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 am

Haha yeah it is aesthetically pleasing. Boss nailed a cool look on this unit for sure. Sure beats using a GE-7 as well! Up next for me is one of the rack compressors.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 pm

Really nice!

I had the CL-50 Compressor and Limiter. I didn't like it and it also has a bad review at the ovnilab website. I think that the old microrack RCL-10 might be a good one. If it's a pimped-up LM-2, it will be great.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Wow, what a great find, Ptak!
Pepe, the RCL-10 is a great compressor, I've used it for years with the bass guitar in the fx loop of my live amp.
I'm not sure how it compares to the CL-50 or the LM-2 though, but it's worth checking out. They usually sell cheap.

Boogieman
SBZ: Bronze

Post by Boogieman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

Years ago, I had the RCL-10 on loan for about a year. I used it mainly for synth bass, but also used it a bit with bass guitar (front end, not FX loop). It wasn't fancy, but I liked it. When the time came to return the unit to the owner, I offered to buy it but was turned down.

Later on (early to mid '90s), I had a CL-10. Again, it was on loan and I used it more for synth bass than bass guitar. My impression: it was neither here nor there, as a compressor/Limiter. Set the ratio too high, the noise became annoying. The irony: the owner was willing to sell it for not much and I turned him down.

I have not tried the LM-2, but I have the LMB-3 on my current bass board. I use it more as a limiter. The Enhance knob is set at zero on mine. It is noisy even at 9'o clock.

I still try to keep an eye out for a good deal on an RCL-10. They just don't turn up locally.

Back to EQ. That was a great score, Ptak. If I had a chance to come across with one, I would take it, especially at that price. I have 2 RGE-10 and I love them.

Ptak

Post by Ptak » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:16 am

Pepe wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 pm
Really nice!

I had the CL-50 Compressor and Limiter. I didn't like it and it also has a bad review at the ovnilab website. I think that the old microrack RCL-10 might be a good one. If it's a pimped-up LM-2, it will be great.
Disappointed to hear that the CL-50 isn't very good. I have the rack tuner from that line which I found for $10 I believe. I almost bought a CL-50 on ebay a couple months ago but was outbid. I wasn't happy about it so this is kinda good news, although I'd liked to have made up a little "Pro" line half rack unit. That might get abandoned now. :lol:

Back to the EQ, it was definitely a great find and will probably stay in my loop for good.