Roland AP-5 Phase 5 (and vintage phaser discussion)

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
Joske Turbo
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Roland AP-5 Phase 5 (and vintage phaser discussion)

Post by Joske Turbo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi folks!

In my never ending quest for tone, one particular effect has intrigued me the most: phaser.
I've had a lot of them over the years, I'm going to list them and the reason why I sold them:

EHX Sovtek Small Stone: really liked this one, but had quite a bad volume drop
EHX Small Stone (American V3): also really nice, not as whacky as the Sovtek one but also noticeable volume drop and distorted a little (I do tend do dig in quite hardly)
EHX Bad Stone Reissue: didn't like the sound, almost immediately sold it
MXR Phase 90 Clone: distorted big time, so a no go for me
TC Electronic Helix: had this one for a long time, liked it but it never really made me truly happy, I don't know why. Maybe it being a 'modern' pedal put me off, I can't really put my finger on it
Arion SPH-1 Phaser: I like this one as it's really versatile, but for my basic phaser sound it misses something, compared to the one I have on my board now, which is:

MXR Phase 100 (Vintage Script Logo): love it's tone, but it's not versatile at all and I would like it to be a little more intense, it's a bit too subtle for me

So my question: I saw a Roland AP-5 for sale today, and this thing looks promising. Anyone know (I'm looking at you fuzzbuzzfuzz ;) ) how this sounds compared to the Phase 100 and volume drop- distortion wise? Or does anyone have a suggestion that I should look into considering my phaser history?

Thanks!

PS: I have a Pearl PH-3 on the way right now but it's taking really long so I'm afraid it got lost, if it does turn up I will write my findings down here

Joske Turbo

Re: Roland AP-5 Phase 5 (and vintage phaser discussion)

Post by Joske Turbo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Forgot to mention the Boss PH-1r, also distorted slightly which I really don't like, so I sold it. And I also had a PH-2 but that was really not the sound I was after. The worst phaser I ever tried :D

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm

And you also had the DingoTone LGP field test model for a while, am I right? This one might be too subtle for some players, but I really like it. I also found that early Small Stones have a bad volume drop. The AP-5 looks awesome, but it's terribly expensive these days. :(
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Joske Turbo

Post by Joske Turbo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Ah yes, you're right! All those phasers :). I did indeed also find it too subtle. I really liked the volume knob though. AP-5 is expensive, true, but my Phase 100 is also quite valuable so I wouldn't lose too much money if I would go from the MXR to the Roland.

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm

My guitar player has this phaser I absolutely love the sound of but I cannot remember the make and model. Let me get back to you on that. It could be a "boutique" one although I (surprisingly) do not know a lot about what's on his board as it changes constantly. The Phaser has been a mainstay though.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:17 pm

He uses a Retro-Sonic Phaser.
https://www.retro-sonic.com/
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

zombiwoof

Post by zombiwoof » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm

The best MXR Phase 90 to get is one that is the original Phase 90 script circuit, either the handwired Dunlop MXR model, or my favorite, the Whirlwind Rochester Series Orange Box, which is the exact script circuit with the added features of True Bypass and LED, it is a great pedal. I also like the MXR handwired Phase 45, probably more than the Phase 90 at this time, I just wish that Whirlwind had also made an upgraded version of that model, I would have gotten that instead. The Phase 45 has a more Univibe-y sound to it IMO. The script circuit doesn't have that feedback circuit that the later block logo Phase 90's had, which is what is perceived to be the distortion you are hearing IMO. The block logo circuit is the one in the production model MXR phase 90, it's too swishy for me because of the feedback circuit which was added to the later block logo original MXR's.

I like the Arion ones, especially the first version that has a different tone circuit, but they are cheaply constructed. Some company makes a quality clone of the Arion, in a sturdier box, but I've never tried one to see if they are the same as the Arion.

Not experienced with the EHX phasers, though I'd like to get one some day.

The Boss PH1-R is also a great phaser in the Phase 90 vein, I have one of those and like it a lot.

I think the Retro-Sonic is a script Phase 90 clone, never tried it as I love the Whirlwind Orange Box.
Al

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Maybe some of the vintage models have slight distortion today due to dry electrolytic capacitors? :?
At least in the case of the two KORG Mr. Multi pedals that I had (still have one of them and won't part with it!) the sound became a lot better and the effect more intense after recapping them.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 pm

zombiwoof wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm
I think the Retro-Sonic is a script Phase 90 clone.
It is based out of the Phase 90 circuit, yes, but not the same. It is built for distorsion free sound.

zombiwoof

Post by zombiwoof » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Gasgano wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 pm
zombiwoof wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm
I think the Retro-Sonic is a script Phase 90 clone.
It is based out of the Phase 90 circuit, yes, but not the same. It is built for distorsion free sound.
I don't hear distortion in the script Phase 90 sound, I think the distortion people talk about is the feedback circuit in the later block logo Phase 90, which adds that overly swishy sound. The regular Dunlop Phase 90 is the later block logo Phase 90 circuit.
Al