Roland AP-5 Phase 5 (and vintage phaser discussion)

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
Joske Turbo
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re: Roland AP-5 Phase 5 (and vintage phaser discussion)

Post by Joske Turbo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:48 pm

I just tried the Pearl for the first time and I was a bit disappointed. It has a small volume drop when engaged which is quite annoying, it does distort when I play loud chords and I would like it to be a bit more intense; so this one won't end my phaser quest I'm afraid. These are just first impressions though after 10 minutes of playing so maybe my opinion will change, I'll post an update if that's the case.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Maybe it needs a bit service.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Joske Turbo
Bossarea: Gold

Post by Joske Turbo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Could be the case Pepe, but I'm not really a technical guy and it's not worth the hassle for me to have it properly checked out. I tried it again a couple of times and the negative aspects I mentioned still annoy me, so I sold it for a good price!

And to end on a positive note: I just went to try an Ibanez PT-707 that a local guy was offering for a fair price. Man, this thing sounds truly amazing, exactly the sound I've been looking for, so I took it home with me. Still in the honeymoon period now obviously but I think this might very well be the one that ends my phaser quest :D

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Ibanez! Who would have thought! Great find!
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:24 pm

Joske do you know these?: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/first/pt999#

Did not see them being mentioned in the discussion.

Their updated brother: https://guitaremporium.com.au/products/ ... one-pt-909 was also not mentioned in the discussion.

Their sound: First type of phasers, especially the one from the first link. Personally I do not miss any controls when I use the first one, just a speed control and that is it.

About the Pearls: this one here: https://reverb.com/item/4498214-pearl-p ... g-to-z-vex They are simply amazing, I do not think you would be disappointed with their sound. Unusual amount of control over the sound, which is a feature of all the bigger Pearl pedals. Sound is still like the "early Phase Sound" but with more controls compared to the usual 70s type of phase sound. They are very good at giving you that Leslie sound from a fairly "compact" box.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:25 am

Yes, visserman, I acquired a big box 909 early on (as a Maxon unit in orange) and loved it. Less sweet and 70s than the PH series and more akin to the Leslie type sound I admired. Later on I picked up a small box version PT-909 (less thick/bass but essentially the same), a PT-999 (quite different) and the PT-9 Pro (orange old square switch). All very nice phasers!

Have both the Pearls, really should give them more of a whirl!