Is Reverb.com Is The Reason Why We Can No Longer Buy Many Boss Pedals For Cheap Anymore?

Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Is Reverb.com Is The Reason Why We Can No Longer Buy Many Boss Pedals For Cheap Anymore?

Post by Ptak » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:46 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Funny that I never got a good tone with the EH-2 playing metal with a humbucker guitar, will try it again to see if I can do it right.
I don't like the sound of that! Last time I used an EH-2 it was through a solid state amp I believe. It worked well to kind of lift a blanket off the sound but I'm looking to use it very differently this time. Some comments said it was good for late 80's-90's metal tones while others said you could get rid of ice pick highs completely. Not many posts about it but enough to give me gas ;)

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Is Reverb.com Is The Reason Why We Can No Longer Buy Many Boss Pedals For Cheap Anymore?

Post by Pepe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:59 am

Ptak wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:34 am
kind of forget the reason I bought it. I think I saw something that it can make your palm mutes like crunchier sounding or something? Literally no clue why I bought it anymore :lol: I definitely need a full limiter tutorial/youtube deep dive to remember why I wanted one so bad.
If you are playing single coils try the setting 12h/12h/10h/02h. At least this is my go-to setting and then all the undesired distortion due to volume peaks are vanished. Perfect for recording, but also good for live playing. It can do much more extreme stuff, but I love the natural sounding taming of the peaks. :D
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:27 pm

I was talking with another 'old guy' (I'm 51) the other day about how much cool gear we were able to buy in the 90s, even as typical 20-somethings working in music stores and not Wall Street.

The internet has brought a lot more attention to the 'cool' stuff. Now anyone that can surf the web and get some education on this gear, not just those exposed to the gear, hands on, and in the know. MIJ BOSS has been hit hard by this. A typical consumer would just see a DS-1 and buy it. Nerds like us could see the silver screw, long dash, set screws in the knobs, and other subtle differences in the paint and such and know if something was older and 'cooler' than the current MIT offering. I know a good part of the collector pricing is that Xers like me can afford to buy up the gear they grew up on. I'm certainly not guilty of overpaying for MIJ BOSS, nor being part of the high priced market, as I have kept everything I found!

Reverb exacerbates the exorbitant pricing by listing asking prices, and many (less than savvy) consumers confuse that price with it's worth.
Ebay has shifted a lot because of Reverb. It used to be a auction site with pretty much everything starting at 1-99 cents and letting the bidders decide the final price. Now it's more like Reverb with just posting asking prices and sometimes taking offers.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 pm

If you guys think pedals are bad, you really ought to get into vintage Coleman camping lanterns.

Stuff you bought for $5-10 at a garage sale is north of $200 consistently. There are serious collectors who intend to retire on their collections - they are buying lanterns by the dozens, if not the hundreds, consolidating other people's collections.

It nuts.

On the flip side, you should hear what serious lantern collectors think when I take a mint condition, all original parts, 1947 Coleman lantern out camping. I own it to use it, not to keep it on a shelf. :D

Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Ptak » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Add video games to the list of collectibles. That whole market is being artificially inflated by sales data and auction houses selling to themselves.

I just got my EH-2 from Japan. Can't say the ebay transaction was good this time. Paypal hit me with a currency conversion charge and the seller is a bit new to the scene. They sent the parcel priority so I got $20 customs charge. I could have got a cleaner unit for the price I ended up paying. :x I tried it on my practice amp which is a rare Boss model; If there is sales data I bet it's extra collectible now! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I liked the enhancer. Definitely lets you change your sound on a bad sounding amp. Just need to set my regular amp up for the real test. There definitely will be many hours of subtly messing around with an EH-2 and LM-2 when I get some free time. Thanks for the tip Pepe; I'll try that setting and many more! :ugeek: