If you could go back and re-learn one thing what would it be

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

If you could go back and re-learn one thing what would it be

Post by sclitheroe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:51 am

If you could go back to your first year or two of playing, and could re-do how your learned or approached one thing, what would it be?

-Scott

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Re: If you could go back and re-learn one thing what would it be

Post by Gasgano » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

Slap bass.

I was taught bass by a guitarist, as there are not a lot of dedicated bass teachers around. My technique is closer to Flea (thumb down) than the "cleaner" jazz bass players around.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 am

I would have spent more time learning finger picking so that when someone says ‘play something’ I can !

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:34 am

The_Doc wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 am
I would have spent more time learning finger picking so that when someone says ‘play something’ I can !
This I can relate to, I have no finger picking abilities at all, and sometimes wonder if I should work on them

tunghaichuan
SBZ: Silver

Post by tunghaichuan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

When I was first starting out 35 years ago, I picked up a very nice, well-made classical guitar. I took lessons for a while but didn't really have any talent for it. I know now that many accomplished people didn't have much talent to begin with, but pushed themselves to learn. I wishe I had known that then.

If I could go back, I would to learn classical guitar because it would have given me a firm grounding in music theory and would have pushed me to be more disciplined in practice.