SBZ starts becoming unreliable

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

SBZ starts becoming unreliable

Post by Pepe » Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm

Today I searched for older information at the old forum, the StompBoxZone. If you open a topic, several lines containing stuff like

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

appear in the upper row. At the same time you will notice that lots of postings aren't displayed anymore. If you click on "quote" (only possible with your login) you can see the content of the members again, but that's not too comfortable.

I don't know if that's a bad sign and if our old home starts falling apart. But I suggest that if you need some of the old information to grab it while it's still there. For my part I'm going to copy the pedal tour topics throughout the next days.

EDIT: you cannot post anything at all anymore at the SBZ.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Re: SBZ starts becoming unreliable

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I spent some time saving old and interesting SBZ threads in Word documents. I am going to convert these to PDF and host them on my website. This will take a few more days till I have collected all the interesting stuff.

If there weren't those BBCode errors I had simply downloaded the threads as screenshots, but a lot of the postings are shown as empty (see my first post above this one) and then it looks like this:

Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Ptak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

Thank you for what you're doing, Pepe! This is what, our third website? Maybe we should just make a sub-reddit or multiple subs if BAF ever runs into problems in the future. I'm not sure if threads expire on reddit but I'm pretty sure they don't. It would be a different experience but it's an option.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am

Nice to see you, Ptak! Image

Well ... who of the millions of Photobucket users had thought that the service would one day cost $99 p.a.? Some of them have uploaded a lot of cool pictures and linked them at BossArea or StompBoxZone and they were pure eye candy. Now all that you can see instead of drool-worthy photos is this:

Sooo many pictures by natthu and The_Doc - flushed down the drain. :( Only a low percentage of the pics has been saved in the web archive and I happily pasted these in my SBZ archive documents.

If I have learned something in the last years, then it's this: if you see something awesome in the internet, download it if you can. You will otherwise regret it. :|

Ptak

Post by Ptak » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 am

Pepe wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am
If I have learned something in the last years, then it's this: if you see something awesome in the internet, download it if you can. You will otherwise regret it. :|
Very good point! I've saved some tech stuff from the last two forums but so much of it, especially the pictures, are lost behind. Anything I didn't download was favorited on my browser but it only took one hard drive crash to erase years of technical references :oops: :cry:

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:54 am

I probably still have most of the photos I posted there and would be very happy to repost them here. Is there a quick way to upload them here in bulk?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 am

The_Doc wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:54 am
I probably still have most of the photos I posted there and would be very happy to repost them here. Is there a quick way to upload them here in bulk?
Unfortunatly not that I'm aware of. Maybe you could share them with Google Drive, and then additional forum members could help post them to this forum topic.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll have look and see what other options there are around. I was wondering about starting a separate thread of my Boss collection photos here and simply posting as many as I can over time and gradually build up a collection of them.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Updates:

I'm still working on the documents for the StompBoxZone archive. Some members have found backups of their pictures that are completely gone in the internet (darn you, photobucket!), so currently I'm closing a lot of gaps while also saving tons of threads. This will take a while.

I will proceed with the BossArea Forum archive when I have received the corresponding pictures.

And a few days ago missica sent me his copy of his nice BOSS pedal website that he used to have online. It seemed to be completely lost, but he was lucky to find a backup. I'm going to supply it on my webspace as well very soon. I always liked that site a lot.

A big thank you to all the members who are helping me with the archive. Image*

*I miss those smileys.