Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Synthesizer

Post by Pepe » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:53 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:13 pm
That looks fantastic, Pepe. Great job!

Are you going to try to track down a PG-300 for it?
Thanks a lot!

Well, that rare programmer would definitely cost more than what I paid for the synthesizer. If I were going to purchase a programmer, I'm quite sure that I would take the Stereoping Synth Controller which I could also use for my KORG DW-8000 and DS-8.

A programmer would be really useful, because programming the alpha Juno is really tedious. I heard lots of people complaining aboput the KORG Poly-61, Poly-800 or DW-8000, but there you can get instant access to the parameters by pressing two of the numeric buttons. In the case of the alpha Juno you have to press "Parameter Select", turn (turn, turn, turn) the α-Dial until you find the correct parameter, then press "Value", turn the α-Dial again. Repeat that for every tiny step.

Whereas it takes a few seconds to change values on an old semi-knobless KORG synthesizer, it takes minutes at the alpha Juno. Horrible! But it sounds really nice.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 pm

I know you're a big Korg fan Pepe, but not sure how deep your pockets are...

Read somewhere it's going to be $13k :shock: Although that's probably still a bargain compared to an original.

LINK

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:43 pm

:o I would really like to have that to go with my MS-20 but not at that price !

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:15 pm

I've seen it yesterday night. Yes, this is a killer synth, but way out of my league at all levels.

I'm happy with my cool trio, consisting of an MS-20 (OTA version), an MS-50 fully modular synthesizer and an X-911 guitar synthesizer plus two original KORG control pedals (MS-01 and MS-04).

snufkin

Post by snufkin » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:39 pm

it's amazing to me that Korg are reissuing it, I love me some synth action my trusty SH-09 and CSQ-100 were my introduction to synthesis.
Currently I am restoring an EMS Synthi which is cool.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:56 pm

Wow, how did you get an EMS Synthi? Which version is it? Are you a skilled synth tech? I really wish that I could understand the schematics of all my synth stuff.

snufkin

Post by snufkin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:21 pm

Synthi is cool its an AKS I bought a trashed unit and luckily had and managed to track down the few missing parts, Robin who still runs EMS and hand builds Synthi was very kind in providing me with a modern chassis as the old one was broken, I then sourced lots of other spare parts from venerable synth techs who are far more talented and expert than me.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:31 pm

Very cool, good luck with the project! If you like the AKS, you might also like these recordings by the Polish synth tech and musician Maciek Polak:

https://maciekpolak.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -1972-2022

I have a yellow cassette version and it's a really nice concept album, albeit very short.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:03 am

snufkin wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:21 pm
Synthi is cool its an AKS I bought a trashed unit and luckily had and managed to track down the few missing parts, Robin who still runs EMS and hand builds Synthi was very kind in providing me with a modern chassis as the old one was broken, I then sourced lots of other spare parts from venerable synth techs who are far more talented and expert than me.

Wow this is a very cool project! I am not much of a synth player but I happen to really enjoy the XILS4 virtual instrument (which is intended to be an entire EMS Synthi AKS system) it would be so much fun to have a real one

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:53 pm

I just picked up a Kawai K4 digital synthesizer from 1989 that I bought for very little money at an ebay auction. The synth was declared as defective (untested). The seller had some stuff from a legacy and he had no idea when the original owner had used it for the last time. He wanted to sell the items that he didn't want to throw away quickly and by pickup only. I had to travel for two hours by train in each direction, but that was perfectly fine.

Well, the synth is almost working like a charm. It came with the original power supply and the display backlight is okay as well. It needs new tactile switches and a very, very thorough cleaning. It has noticeable nicotine smell and it is dirty as hell.

Pictures will follow once it's in fully working and clean state.