Synthesizer

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Synthesizer

Post by Pepe » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 pm

Some new pictures. The overall condition is near-mint. I'm still very happy, especially since I found out that there are two trimpots on a small separate circuit board on the back of the main board that can increase the resonance of the filters. Now it can almost sound as evil on demand as the older models with the first filter circuit. :twisted:

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Looking at those knobs and reading their functionality I feel completely lost, it's like advanced physics to me.

I can only imagine the possibilities of sound creation such machine can offer.

Once again, congrats Pepe, it's a beautiful music instrument.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:51 pm

Thank you, Old_Iron! Image

Old_Iron wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:35 pm
Looking at those knobs and reading their functionality I feel completely lost, it's like advanced physics to me.
That's what I thought as well before I received the reissue model KORG MS-20 Mini. At first I thought that I would never really understand it all or use all the functions. It was the same with the KORG MS-50. But in both cases I soon realized what can be done. And in both cases I thought that it was sad that some functions aren't implemented.

Old_Iron wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:35 pm
I can only imagine the possibilities of sound creation such machine can offer.
A very famous song with the MS-20 was "Flat Beat" by Mr Oizo. Really nasty sounds and quirky effects are its strength. That's one way how this synth can sound. This filter circuit is so good that the MS-20 can also sound deep and fat, a bit similar to a Moog synthesizer.

With the envelopes and triggers you can create quite complex stuff. A few days ago I found a nice sound setting that was a deep synth bass that could be converted into a synthetic voice with the small switch under the modulation wheel (that triggered the Envelope Generator 1, which caused that the sound was pitched two octaves up and the High Pass Filter with resonance was enabled as well).

The coolest things are possible in combination and interaction with the MS-50. 8-)

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:25 pm

So cool.

There are some videos on Youtube about it, including a tutorial for a virtual MS-20:

And the virtual MS-20:

https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... v/overview

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:10 am

Today, my brother picked up a Roland α Juno-2 analogue polyphonic synthesizer for me in Cologne. Two keys don't work, the rest is said to work perfectly. I'm going to receive the synth in the next few days. :D

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:41 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:10 am
Today, my brother picked up a Roland α Juno-2 analogue polyphonic synthesizer for me in Cologne. Two keys don't work, the rest is said to work perfectly. I'm going to receive the synth in the next few days. :D
Nice!! The next project...

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 pm

I'm pretty certain that it will be an easy fix.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 pm
I'm pretty certain that it will be an easy fix.
Thumbs.jpg
Thumbs.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 2824 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:01 pm

Since yesterday the Roland alpha Juno-2 is completely repaired. The last thing that I replaced was the faulty slide potentiometer that refused to work in stereo under 75% of the maximum volume.

[open in new tab to see the picture in higher resolution]

I replaced the big electrolytic capacitors and the tantal capacitor of the power supply board as well as the almost 40 year-old and already leaking button cell battery. I also soldered in a new luminous foil for the display. This is almost invisible at daylight, but it is very helpful in the dark as you can see in the pictures.

I cleaned the contact points on the long boards of the keybed with a special eraser that was recommended in a German synthesizer forum and I cleaned the rubber contacts with luke warm water and a toothbrush. After this procedure all the keys worked properly again.

Of course I disassembled the whole synthesizer to clean every part. I removed most of the traces of the tape residue and now it looks pretty good again. The keys were all extensively polished with my favourite plastic polish.

[open in new tab to see the picture in higher resolution]

The only remaining flaw is that the aftertouch only works a little bit if you press on the keys with the full body weight. Sadly this is very common in most of the alpha Juno-2 units. There is a way to repair this, but it includes to remove the complete felt strip under the keys and maybe I will get that done by a repair shop one day.

This is how this instrument looked before the cleaning and maintenance. It was a very, very tough job to get rid of all that tape residue, especially at the parts that you can see in the second picture.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:13 pm

That looks fantastic, Pepe. Great job!

Are you going to try to track down a PG-300 for it?