LM2 limiter

SmithRJ

LM2 limiter

Post by SmithRJ » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:40 pm

I have a Boss Katana 100 mk2 with a GA FC foot controller. Does anyone know if the LM2 works across stored effects ?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: LM2 limiter

Post by Pepe » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if I understand your question correctly. Do you you have a vintage LM-2 that you want to use in combination with the Katana amp?
I'm not familiar with these amps, so I just had a look at the user's manual. It has a limiter effect inside as well. Is this one based on the LM-2 and do you mean this one instead?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

SmithRJ

Post by SmithRJ » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:42 pm

I don't have an LM2, but was hoping it might be the solution to a problem I have with the stored effects I use with my amp. I have so far found it impossible to set them all at the same volume level,which can cause issues with the overall sound of the band I play in. Ideally I would like to be able to change from one effect to another without the need to alter the volume each time but have, so far,failed to find a solution. Any advice would be welcome.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:23 pm

Ah, I see! The LM-2 is designed to tame the volume of signal peaks to prevent clipping. With drastic settings it can be used for the purpose that you have in mind, but I really wouldn't recommend it. The problem is that your playing dynamics would be lost. Every single note and especially chords would have the same maximum volume, way too compressed.

I suppose that you really have to find the sweet spot of the volume settings of your different programs.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram