Next 3D Project for the Micro Series. Help?

BillyNoSocks

Next 3D Project for the Micro Series. Help?

Post by BillyNoSocks » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 am

Now I'll be making a switch box for controlling all of the Micro Series units. It's designed for hand use, not foot use. The latching buttons will enable/disable the effects. The best solution I could come up with was using an aviation style connector. It is the most compact connection I could find. It has 24 pins. I plan to wire 2 pins per unit/switch. But I wanted to ask if this was completely necessary or can they all share the same ground? My first guess is no but I'm sure I could be wrong. Before I break out the solder, is my thinking correct? Thanks!
thumbnail_image0.jpg
thumbnail_image0.jpg (492.3 KiB) Viewed 293 times

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Next 3D Project for the Micro Series. Help?

Post by laurie » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:15 am

This ... is next level! Please continue to share!

BillyNoSocks

Post by BillyNoSocks » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:15 am
This ... is next level! Please continue to share!
Of course! I hope to finish it this week but it's be nice to verify the common ground question so I could cut my soldering in half! :lol:

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:47 pm

BillyNoSocks wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 am
It has 24 pins. I plan to wire 2 pins per unit/switch. But I wanted to ask if this was completely necessary or can they all share the same ground? My first guess is no but I'm sure I could be wrong. Before I break out the solder, is my thinking correct? Thanks!
They will all share the same ground, so electrically one pin should work.

If it was me, however, I'd use two pins (and shielded cable for each pair) because the likelihood of ground loops is quite high. Overkill? Probably. Fixing a problem that might not exist? Maybe. Would I still do it that way? Yes.

BillyNoSocks

Post by BillyNoSocks » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:07 pm

laurie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:47 pm
They will all share the same ground, so electrically one pin should work.

If it was me, however, I'd use two pins (and shielded cable for each pair) because the likelihood of ground loops is quite high. Overkill? Probably. Fixing a problem that might not exist? Maybe. Would I still do it that way? Yes.
Definitely don't want to possibly add more than the standard noise these units have, so thanks a lot for the input! Ok, off I go a-solderin'! :D