HELP! Boss RC500 display incessantly flashes blue upon powerup

0maxxis0

HELP! Boss RC500 display incessantly flashes blue upon powerup

Post by 0maxxis0 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:15 pm

Hey guys

I've just powered on my new Boss RC-500, and the large display screen just flashes blue over and over. No text or anything. None of the buttons seem to do anything, other than the EXIT button, which after I press it puts the text "RC-500 UPDATER, CONNECTING..." on the display. Any ideas about what might be wrong and how to fix?? Nothing in the owners manual seems to reference this particular fault. I'm scared I bought a faulty unit.

I have gone through the update firmware procedure (which went fine) in an attempt to fix this, but the problem persists. I'm waiting to hear back from Boss's support team about this too but has anyone got any ideas how to fix or what might be wrong? Thanks!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: HELP! Boss RC500 display incessantly flashes blue upon powerup

Post by Pepe » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:58 pm

Oh, that might indeed be a serious issue. Did you purchase a new or a used unit? Too bad that the factory reset function is only available in the menu and not via pushing a certain knob combination while powering the pedal.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

0maxxis0

Post by 0maxxis0 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:04 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:58 pm
Oh, that might indeed be a serious issue. Did you purchase a new or a used unit? Too bad that the factory reset function is only available in the menu and not via pushing a certain knob combination while powering the pedal.
Technically used, but it was from a large second-hand online retailer so hopefully they'll be able to refund me. Yeah, that's the first thing I went to try but as you said it wasn't really an option unfortunately

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:06 pm

So it's a used pedal ... Did the seller test it beforehand? It might have worked before the shipping. I suppose that in this case some connections might have gone bad. I have purchased a used BOSS OD-20 two years ago and it showed strange behaviour in several modes. After opening it up and cleaning everything I put it back together and it worked like a charm. Maybe we could have such a case here, as well.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram