DD8 Expression tricks?

Luke Drifter

DD8 Expression tricks?

Post by Luke Drifter » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzEFNbLaIo

Andy's demo of the DD8

At 9.34 he appears to be using an expression pedal to adjust both Effect level and Feedback

does anyone know how this is done?

I think I heard him (or maybe some other video) say that you can control all three parameters with an expression pedal

I can't see anything in any Boss manual anywhere on this
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

Luke Drifter

Re: DD8 Expression tricks?

Post by Luke Drifter » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:09 am

This might be it

Control Using an Expression Pedal

Connecting an expression pedal (Roland EV-5, BOSS FV-500H, FV-500L, EV-30; sold separately) to the TEMPO/EXP jack enables you to control the respective parameters of the [E.LEVEL], [FEEDBACK], and [TIME] knobs. * Use only the specified expression pedal. By connecting any other expression pedals, you risk causing malfunction and/or damage to the unit. Making the Settings for Expression Pedal Functions

Hold down the pedal switch and connect the expression pedal. The function-setting mode for the expression pedal is enabled and the CHECK indicator lights in orange. * The setting mode cannot be entered while LOOP mode is selected. * When connecting an expression pedal to the TEMPO/EXP jack, set the minimum volume for the connected expression pedal to the “MIN” position.
Make the settings for the parameters. Turn the [E.LEVEL], [FEEDBACK], and [D.TIME] knobs to set the maximum values of the ranges you want to control. If you don’t want to control a particular parameter with the expression pedal, set its value to the “MIN” position. * You can set only the maximum value of a parameter range controlled using the expression pedal. Setting the minimum value is not possible.
Save the parameters. Press the pedal switch to make the CHECK indicator rapidly flash in orange and save the settings. After the settings have been saved, the unit returns to normal operation. * Never switch off the power while the CHECK indicator is flashing rapidly. * This setting is retained even while the power is turned off.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:10 am

Does this cover what you mean (P.19 of the manual):
Connecting an expression pedal (Roland EV-5, BOSS FV-500H, FV-500L, EV-30; sold separately) to the TEMPO/EXP jack enables you to control the respective parameters of the [E.LEVEL], [FEEDBACK], and [TIME] knobs.
* Use only the specified expression pedal. By connecting any other expression pedals, you risk causing malfunction and/or damage to the unit.

Making the Settings for Expression Pedal Functions

1. Hold down the pedal switch and connect the expression pedal.
The function-setting mode for the expression pedal is enabled and the CHECK indicator lights in orange.
* The setting mode cannot be entered while LOOP mode is selected.
* When connecting an expression pedal to the TEMPO/EXP jack, set the minimum volume for the connected expression pedal to the “MIN” position.

2. Make the settings for the parameters.
Turn the [E.LEVEL], [FEEDBACK], and [D.TIME] knobs to set the maximum values of the ranges you want to control. If you don’t want to control a particular parameter with the expression pedal, set its value to the “MIN” position.
* You can set only the maximum value of a parameter range controlled using the expression pedal. Setting the minimum value is not possible.

3. Save the parameters.
Press the pedal switch to make the CHECK indicator rapidly flash in orange and save the settings.After the settings have been saved, the unit returns to normal operation.
* Never switch off the power while the CHECK indicator is flashing rapidly.
* This setting is retained even while the power is turned off.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:11 am

Oh, ha. You beat me to it :lol:

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:28 am

yep (sorry about that)

Im going to try and make it work with an EHX Cntl Knob pedal that i have. If I can dial up two settings (simple slapback and a 500ms with a few repeats for solos) then I can do away with the two pedal set up i have been using

Do you (anyone) know the polarity of the exp pedal input the Boss pedal wants to see (ring-to-wiper or tip-to-wiper)? Theres a button on the side of the Cntl Knob for that, but neither EHX or Boss are forthcoming on what the Boss pedal wants (Boss exp pedals are switched "norm(al)" or "inv(erted)", without saying what is normal. EhX pedals expect Tip-to-wiper

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm

Not exactly what you were asking, but there was this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=682&p=6573&hilit=polarity#p6573

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:23 am

Nah, given up and gone back to the tried-and-true 2 pedal system

Its amazing how little info there is out there about how to use these Cntl Knob pedals

and nothing about polarity for different brands. Boss just calls the polarity "Nor" and "Inv"

and they warn that to inset a TRS device with the wrong polarity might damage the Boss pedal, but I can't imagine how

The Cntl Knb manual says all EHX pedals want Tip-to-Wiper
bbdd.jpg
bbdd.jpg (87.65 KiB) Viewed 1144 times