Pedalboard connections, and more!!!!

Gooddrims

Pedalboard connections, and more!!!!

Post by Gooddrims » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:34 am

Hi everyone,
I need some help with pedalboards, footswitch, and so on... im really a newbie lol.
So I've bought a huge Christmas present for me :D .
KATANA-Artist MkII HEAD
KATANA Cabinet212 (KTN-CAB212)
Boss GA-FC
Boss NS-2
Boss ML-2
Boss WL-50
Boss BCB-90X
Line6 POD Go Wireless
Sperzel Tuners for my ESP, etc...

My "Old" gear was just a 15w vox and a zoom g1xon 😔, so it's a brand new world 4 me now..

I'm so happy with my Christmas 🎁
So my problem is... how the hell should I connect all these switches on my BCB-90X?
I really need some highlights.... I've searched allready content about GA-FC connections but with out success....
I was thinking on this build like so... make sense? If so... how should i connect, in a way that I can use line6 on my BCB-90X?
I forgot to say Metal is my thing!!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20231208_213819.jpg
Screenshot_20231208_213819.jpg (150.26 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

Zerksies

Re: Pedalboard connections, and more!!!!

Post by Zerksies » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:24 pm

I'd put the NS-2 after the ML-2. I'm not sure how them combo pedals work, but I wouldn't put a noise filter on them.
I.B.B & F.Y.s

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 pm

Do you plan to run the Pod into the amp input or the effects loop return on the Katana?

Gooddrims

Post by Gooddrims » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:54 am

Atm im using 4 cable method on pod.. .
But what i would like to know is can I use all switches on the fx loop?

Gooddrims

Post by Gooddrims » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:57 am

Hm.. delay, reverb, etc we should put in front of the amp right.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:53 am

Effects that normally go on the effects loop (or after dirt pedals): Delay, Reverb, Tremolo, Chorus, Flanger, Rotary Speaker
Effects that normally go before the amp: Wah, Envelope Filter/Auto Wah, Phaser, Octave, Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Vibrato, Volume Swell

Some effects can go on either spot depending upon how you want to use them. Others may be beginning of the chain before the amp or last pedal in the chain before the amp.

The above rules of thumb only really apply if you are using the amp's overdrive/distortion. If you are only going to use pedals for your dirty tone, the "before the amp" effects would go in sequence before the effects that are generally effect loop effects.

I'm not quite sure what sort of features the POD has, but if you plan to use that and the ML-2 for your dirty tones, you can see if it works better run into the amp's input or the amp's effects loop return.

Gooddrims

Post by Gooddrims » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:05 pm

Imageimage hosting
Hi guys sorry to didnt answer anyone.... but got a crappi time....

So I known some effects are on after amo and anothers are behind...
I thought on this:
What if I use my pod in fx loop (without amp pre amp and cabinet) and connecting some how I don't know to my others pedals?
Damm is a lot information out there... IR , tone editing, mic position, studio one tips and tricks... my head is getting an burnout lol...
Easy way to connect is I think... pedalboard in front, pod on fx loops, but is that in fact the right way?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:17 pm

The right way is what works and sounds right for you.

Personally I don't use my tube amp's overdrive at all, so I put all of my pedals in front of the amp. I also don't use the effects loop. But every guitarist has his own philosophy, preference in sound, etc.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:56 pm

Gooddrims wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:05 pm
Hi guys sorry to didnt answer anyone.... but got a crappi time....

So I known some effects are on after amo and anothers are behind...
I thought on this:
What if I use my pod in fx loop (without amp pre amp and cabinet) and connecting some how I don't know to my others pedals?
Damm is a lot information out there... IR , tone editing, mic position, studio one tips and tricks... my head is getting an burnout lol...
Easy way to connect is I think... pedalboard in front, pod on fx loops, but is that in fact the right way?
I guess a question I would have is which devices are you using as your primary sources of distortion/overdrive?
That will pretty much help dictate the most probable order of things.

If the POD is your primary tone:
TU-3W -> ML-2 -> POD -> RC-5 -> NS-2 -> Katana Effects Loop Return (or Katana Amp Input but this will add the Katana's preamp to the equation)

If the Katana is your primary tone:
TU-3W -> ML-2 -> POD -> RC-5 -> NS-2 -> Katana Amp Input
Or if you are only using the POD for its effects and not its amp sims/dirt:
TU-3W - ML-2 -> RC-5 -> NS-2 -> Katana Amp Input + Katana Effects Loop: POD

The RC-5 placement can vary. If you want it to loop dirty/effect tone, have it near the end. If you want it to always playback clean tone that you will feed through various effects, it should go near the front.

The NS-2 placement can vary. It could be before or after the RC-5 when that is placed late. You could also run it on the effects loop of the Katana or POD.

Hopefully this helps.