Rubber Discolouration Support Notice

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Rubber Discolouration Support Notice

Post by BearBoy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:55 am

Saw this Support note on the Boss website this morning. Has anyone experience this on any of their recent purchases?
ABOUT RUBBER DISCOLOURATION ON SOME COMPACT PEDAL MODELS

Each BOSS compact series effect pedal includes high-quality moulded rubber pads for the pedal switch and bottom of the unit.

Due to manufacturing processes, the rubber can sometimes have a dull, milky residue on the surface (known as “rubber bloom”).

This substance is a natural occurrence in rubber products and can be easily removed. It is not harmful to humans and does not affect the rubber’s quality or functionality in any way.

It has been confirmed that a recent production run of compact pedals may exhibit more rubber bloom than normal.

If you have purchased one of these products, you can remove the rubber bloom by wiping the pads with a soft cloth.

If the rubber bloom is not removed to your satisfaction after wiping, please contact an authorized BOSS distributor or service centre in your country for repair or replacement.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your continued use and support of BOSS products.

Affected serial numbers:
x1Qxxxx
x2Qxxxx
x3Qxxxx
x4Qxxxx

fernieite
SBZ: Silver

Re: Rubber Discolouration Support Notice

Post by fernieite » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:35 am

Hang on to your rubber bloom bottoms, gents. Collector's may pay big bucks for those in the decades to come! :mrgreen:

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold

Re: Rubber Discolouration Support Notice

Post by BearBoy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:23 pm

I've just noticed that the BP-1w I got for Christmas is in the x3Qxxxx serial number range.

Not observed any "rubber bloom" as yet but the pedal did have a pretty strong odour when I first opened the box. It's subsided a bit now it's been out in the open air for a week or so but is still noticeable close up. Not sure if the two things are in any way related but I've never noticed this sort of odour on any brand new Boss pedals in the past.