New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

bigtone23

Re: New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:26 am

I'm going to get an IR2. It's exactly what i need. I really like how many amp platforms it has, a couple each of cleans, crunches, hi gain, etc... Plus the effects loop and headphone jack, all in a compact Boss enclosure that could live in a BCB6.

I recently picked up a Walrus ACS1 that does a very similar thing, no real complaints as it has what I basically need (especially the headphone jack). But... it's sort of limited to the three amps (Deluxe, AC30, Bluesbreaker), and vintage versions of them, too. I would like to have something more 80s/90s Marshall or Boogie Mark in there. The boost helps goose them with more gain, but it's just not the same as an amp that is just more 'modern.' Had I known about the IR2 a few weeks ago, I would have waited. haha. This might get sold if the IR2 delivers like it seemingly will.

Also have a TC Impulse, picked it up a couple years ago. It is very small and fantastic for connecting to my preamps or line out to a mixer or DAW, and IR sounds made a world of difference with my direct sounds over the old, inductor based speaker sims I had in my V Twin pedal or through the H&K RedBox or Peavey EDI boxes. However, no headphone out is a bummer. I prefer to use the amp/cab sims this way, so I can quietly play late at night. I had to patch into a small, stand alone headphone amp for this. The impulse is still great for what it is.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:27 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:26 am
I'm going to get an IR2. It's exactly what I need.... Plus the effects loop and headphone jack, all in a compact Boss enclosure that could live in a BCB6.
I'm thinking along similar lines, but with some BCB-3s. Couple of dirt pedals before the IR-2, some modulation/delay/reverb in the effects loop and then I might have the perfect late night headphone playing set up.

Oh, and need to squeeze my RC-3 in there somewhere.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:44 am

Yep! I get a lot of mileage out of the ACS1 as a late night headphone amp. It’s 90% of how I use it and really love this application.

It's also great for doing quick n dirty testing of dirt pedals with the 'big 3' amp platforms, too. This is especially cool since I don’t have an actual Vox (or remotely Vox-like) amp for testing compatibility. It’s fun and interesting to plug in a dirt pedal and switch between the 3 amp platforms and not switch the cab IR. It’s a cool way to (sort of) scientifically reduce the variables to just the amp/circuit. Of course, using the ‘typical’ cab IR for the respective amp is also very revealing.
Nerdy! 🤓

The_Doc
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:34 am

This one could be a game changer for me when I use my Roland JC-40 and I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

The JC is the best clean sound I’ve had but I’ve never really been 100% satisfied with the higher gain sounds I get out of it using various pedals. I’m hoping this is an ‘all in one’ solution !

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:11 am

If you look at page 9 of the manual, it has specific settings for connecting to the return jack or input jack of a JC-120. Might be worth trying them with your JC-40.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:19 am

BearBoy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:11 am
If you look at page 9 of the manual, it has specific settings for connecting to the return jack or input jack of a JC-120. Might be worth trying them with your JC-40.
Excellent - that’s just what I was hoping for. Thanks for letting me know. :) I’m expecting it to arrive this week. Fingers crossed !

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:29 am

The IR-2 arrived today and here’s a (very) brief update !

I won’t have a chance to try it through the JC just yet but I tried it through this desktop set-up: Gibson Les Paul Standard —> iRig Pro Duo interface (in stereo) —> MacBook Pro running Logic Pro. First impression - I love it ! Really crisp sounds and lots and lots of control. Plenty of meat in the higher gain tones and wonderful character in the cleans. The ‘Tweed’ is an absolute belter ! Needed a decent reverb on a send as the ‘Ambience’, in the factory setting (this can be changed), is hardly noticeable.

I played through a good quality Fender amp in a commercial studio on Tues and I would have happily have used this pedal instead - it’s that good.

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:25 pm

Sounds really promising. Hoping Mrs BB can get hold of one before Christmas :lol:

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:43 pm

GASing here too.

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:57 pm

GASgano is GASing. Wow.

Haven't GASsed that much on a new Boss pedal since the VO-1 came out in 2016 (or maybe the DC-2w... that teaser video with MT-2w was LIT).
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."