New Waza-Craft pedal: BP-1W Booster Preamp

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Re: New Waza-Craft pedal: BP-1W Booster Preamp

Post by BearBoy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:17 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:04 pm
Nope, still waiting. Usual thing here - a big fanfare launch and then the wait. I still don’t understand why they don’t stock up the retailers ready for the launch.
Not sure where you're based but I think some UK retailers had them at launch but they all seem to be out of stock at the moment. I could be mistaken though.

Some of them do have the RV-200, which was announced today, in stock already.

Was hoping to get a BP-1w for Christmas so hopefully some stock will turn up in the next 6 weeks 8-)

The_Doc
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:39 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:17 pm
The_Doc wrote:
Nope, still waiting. Usual thing here - a big fanfare launch and then the wait. I still don’t understand why they don’t stock up the retailers ready for the launch.
Not sure where you're based but I think some UK retailers had them at launch but they all seem to be out of stock at the moment. I could be mistaken though.

Some of them do have the RV-200, which was announced today, in stock already.

Was hoping to get a BP-1w for Christmas so hopefully some stock will turn up in the next 6 weeks 8-)
I am UK based and I know that PMT and Andertons didn’t have any. Andertons are saying mid November so it shouldn’t be too long.

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:46 pm

Ah, maybe I’m mixing it up with one of other launches then. Seems a bit hit or miss as to whether they’re available straight away.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:30 am

Played one the other day. It's really cool! I might just get one, as I can see this being useful with bass guitar, too.

What's really nice is the gain and volume knobs. Being able to dial in a little grit/harmonics is especially cool pushing a dirty amp, which is how I tend to use overdrive pedals as boosts. The grit generated in the modes, upon this initial listening, has a sort of an aggressive wave form, but let me plug into a few more amps and make a more educated determination from there. I played it into a Marshall Lead 12 and Fender Pro Jr. It needs to see my bigger Marshall and Mesas for a final test.
--The Standard vs Vintage buffer is only noticeable if you plug directly in and have passive pickups. Vintage does load down/smooth things up a little bit with passives, barely noticeable, if at all, with actives. Par for the course.
--Natural mode is nice, uncolored boost. It's also slightly hotter than the other two modes. If you push it into grit, it's sort of like a Klon that's lightly cracked into the gain knob. I need to dig out my old MXR Micro Amp and compare to this mode. This is the mode for just adding volume boost.
--RE is smoother, took the edge off my single coils. This mode, with vintage buffer and the gain around 1 o'clock was pretty darn similar in tone and gain to my MXR Timmy settings used to push a dirty amp. This mode was my favorite for pushing a dirty amp.
--CE is brighter, adds a nice sparkle to the tone. The grit makes for a cool edge of breakup over a clean tone. Cool for airing up darker humbuckers.

None of the modes are anywhere close to a SD1 type boost. They are all considerably flatter. Even a Klon(e) has more mid content. That what makes this cool, it gives that color those preamps had, or it can be a pretty darn neutral sounding boost.

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:26 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:30 am
I can see this being useful with bass guitar, too.
I was messing about with mine and my Bass VI the other day. The RE pre-amp with a small amount of gain gives a nice warm feeling to bass.

zentropa
SBZ: Silver

Post by zentropa » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:32 pm

The_Doc wrote:
I know this is old, but a theory my local shop had about this is that Boss was super pissed off that online stores leaked the TB-2W release before their official announcement and since then, they have given dealers a lot less advance notice about the new products releasing. This ends up translating to far less time to do pre-orders to gauge their initial order quantities, less time to prepare their cash flow to order the products, and less time to actually get the products to the store.

It doesn't seem like this will be changing soon.

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:03 pm

Availability of newly announced products doesn't seem to be particularly consistent. The VE-22 vocal thing, which was announced today, is in stock and ready to order for delivery tomorrow here in the UK.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Had a three hour studio session this week and I gave the BP-1W a proper run out at gig (..ish) volume. Using an amp that was just overdriving it worked a treat in each of the modes. Seems to make the guitar more responsive and reactive to your playing. It’s one of those effects that you notice when you turn it off as it doesn’t radically alter your tone - just improves it in some way.

I kept going back to the CE-1 mode as that seemed to add more guts than the other modes. Pedal volume and gain control were both set to 12 o’clock. I think it’s going to get a lot of use.

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 am

I got one of these the other day

Its pretty nice for that CE-1 tone

https://www.pastfx.com/index.php/effect ... runch-plus
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ