Exclusive ACA pedal board

Ricey

Exclusive ACA pedal board

Post by Ricey » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:35 pm

I want to put together a small vintage 80s board for fun. I have old ACA adaptor powered SD-1, DS-1, PH-1r, BF-2, and CE-2, as well as an old Thomas Crybaby that is battery powered only. I no longer have a functioning ACA adaptor. If I won't be using any regular, non-ACA powered pedals in my signal chain, when connecting only the ACA powered Boss pedals up to Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3 Plus, should I use the 12V or 9V outputs? I know the pedals are underpowered using the 9V outputs (LEDs are dim), because of the ACA pedals' built in voltage reduction circuitry, but will the voltage reduction circuit in the pedals tame the 12V output from the Pedal Power Plus enough so that it doesn't fry the pedals?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Exclusive ACA pedal board

Post by Pepe » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:19 pm

At this point I just want to say that you should NEVER use an ACA power supply with the daisy-chain method! Laurie wrote something about that at the previous iteration of this forum. If I remember it correctly it's one of the easiest way to kill all your pedals at once.

I don't have an answer to what you want to know, just be sure that you are NOT going to use the daisy-chain with 12V! I think it will be safe if you use isolated outputs of a power supply. Or put one PSA pedal in the chain and use the daisy-chain with the standard 9V.

EDIT:
I have just found the StompBoxZone thread. Apparently it is safe if you use ACA pedals ONLY with the daisy-chain. I uploaded it here:
http://www.pepemusic.de/sbz_archive/03_ ... pedals.pdf
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re: Exclusive ACA pedal board

Post by zentropa » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:45 pm

I have run 3 ACA-pedals off of 1 ACA adapter on a BCB-3 a few times and it has been safe, so I can verify that.