Thinking of selling my collection

Ricey

Re: Thinking of selling my collection

Post by Ricey » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:27 pm

I had pristine condition MIJ SD-1, DS-1, CS-1, and DD-2, late 70's Big Muff and Small Stone, late 70's DOD OD OD250, 1st production year MT-2, early 80s Ibanez FL-2, a mid-80's Arion SCH-1, and '90 Scholz Rockman X-100, among others. I felt sick a couple years afterwards when I realized what I had let go of, though I did manage to get most of them back. I have NO issue with digital processing-still love my GT-5, Katana, DD-3t, BC-2, FBM-1, FDR,1, ML-2, Whammy, Mosaic, Jam Man, and Oceans 11 and I am not intending to spark an analog vs. Digital debate-I just want to provide a counterpoint to the OPs proposal to ensure he makes the a decision that he can live with and avoid any possible future regret.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:22 pm

Ricey wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:27 pm
still love my GT-5
I'll probably be a lifetime GT-5 user :geek: great sounding unit, you basically get the entire boss -2 series with a few -3s sprinkled in

sebastien32

Post by sebastien32 » Mon May 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Ricey wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:22 pm
Since you have so many pedals, have you considered putting together a pedal board consisting of all your very best pedals that you would actually use? I know you said you have an AxeFX and those are great too, but you might one day regret selling all your pedals. I did that once back in the late 90's-sold all my pedals and bought a Boss GT-5 multiFX, which was state of the art back then. I still have the GT-5 and it still sounds great, but I did eventually end up buying all my pedals back, and more, at considerable cost. You could put just the ones you would actually use on a board and sell the rest. I think you might find that you would enjoy breaking out the old school board from time-to-time. I use my GT-5 as my small board for practice and rehearsals and my pedals for my primary rig; however, you could reverse that strategy.
That's probably what I will do. Will keep my OD-1, DS-1, CE-2 and maybe 2 other one and sell the others. I'm one step closer to pulling the trigger... I clean them all and took all the pictures... Last step is to put them on Reverb :o

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon May 01, 2023 4:48 pm

Keeping a few of the classic, go-to pedals is a good idea. I had the core BOSS back in the 80s (DF1/SD1/CE3/DD2, BF2), sold them in the 90s, replaced some of them later in the 90s, sold them in the early '00s and replaced again shortly there after! Now, they are here to stay (with many, many more BOSS)!

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:17 pm

Not sure if you have already sold them or not, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

I would recommend planning sales around the cyclical price fluctuations. Pedal prices tend to peak from early-October through mid-January and bottom out during June through early August (used to be late August but reverb resellers snap everything good and cheap up much earlier now). The US sees a temporary spike in the March/April range due to tax returns. If you are looking to maximize, you will have plenty of time to get ready before the next upswing in value.

As for whether or not to do it, keep in mind that with each passing year a lot of them will become harder and more expensive to replace. This also means that some that you sell may also go up in value (although currently values are trending downward due to inflation), so be prepared for seller's remorse if this happens. From my experiences, this remorse is the gift that keeps on giving and I get to experience it repeatedly when I see the prices on certain items now.

You can also re-evaluate how you are collecting. For me, I never tried to have all of the pedals. I have all of the analog dirt pedals because I like dirt pedals. I really like modulation effects, so I have all of the analog chorus pedals + DC-3, all of the analog phasers, and the analog flangers (often with variants), and I am currently hunting for a VB-2. Beyond that, I really only went after the pedals I liked. FT-2 is my only envelope filter. CS-2 is my only compressor. OC-2 my only octave. I have a DD-2 and DD-7, but never had any desire to have all of the digital delays. I have found going about it in this way has allowed me to keep the collection more focused and reduces the number of pedals that just sit, never getting used.

I went about my DOD collection similarly, I got all of the analog dirt pedals from a specific era (minus the buzz box). Then I got a phaser, a flanger, my favorite chorus from them, and an analog delay, to fill out a "gig board," but I was able to stop there (although I'm still debating getting another FX25, since that was the first pedal I ever bought when I was 16).

Just some ideas.

sebastien32

Post by sebastien32 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:52 pm

I just sold my last one yesterday. So it took about 3 months to sell all of my 34 remaining pedals. Not too bad and I got pretty much what I was asking for for every one.

sebastien32

Post by sebastien32 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:55 pm

The last thing I have is a DD-6 box and manual (no pedal). It is still listed on Reverb, if any one is interested...

zentropa
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:50 pm

sebastien32 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:52 pm
I just sold my last one yesterday. So it took about 3 months to sell all of my 34 remaining pedals. Not too bad and I got pretty much what I was asking for for every one.
That's good. I know I chimed in late on this thread, but I do a lot of pedal market analysis :D

Ptak
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Ptak » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:29 am

If you're still in process of selling, I have around 50 pedals too and have considered selling some because the bulk of them are dist/od which I don't use anymore with my new amp.

The way I'd sell my collection with reverb inflating prices, would be keep all the pedals I'd potentially have use for, any sentimental pedals and any odd circuit/rare pedals. I'd just group shot the common pedals, look up current values and let them sell slow on local ads.

There's a few pedals I sold in the past I knew were hard to get or useful that I regret because prices skyrocketed so beware!

Edit: totally missed there was a page 2. Congrats on the sale. Probably like that extra space!