SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: NPD: Stereo Chorus x2

Post by Pepe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:54 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:32 pm
Pepe wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:49 am
*Question to Laurie: I suppose that this mode is not mono compatible, since it is D+E and D-E. I haven't tried it before, but will the chorus sound vanish when both putputs will be put together in mono?
Yes, with the D+E and D-E outputs, if you summed them back into mono (using two channels on a mixing board, say) the chorus sound should disappear. In the real world there will be remnants because of component variations.
That's good information, thank you!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:32 pm
Pepe wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:49 am
*Question to Laurie: I suppose that this mode is not mono compatible, since it is D+E and D-E. I haven't tried it before, but will the chorus sound vanish when both putputs will be put together in mono?
Yes, with the D+E and D-E outputs, if you summed them back into mono (using two channels on a mixing board, say) the chorus sound should disappear. In the real world there will be remnants because of component variations.
I have used the summing to mono trick with pan controls to mix the chorus level down.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm

I have just tried it myself. When turning both panorama knobs of my mixer to the middle position, the chorus effect of Mode I disappears. On the other side the sound of Mode II sounds great if you combine both outputs in mono - in my opinion even better than the standard mono output.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:57 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm
I have just tried it myself. When turning both panorama knobs of my mixer to the middle position, the chorus effect of Mode I disappears.
Thumbs_SML.jpg
Thumbs_SML.jpg (1.78 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:50 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm
I have just tried it myself. When turning both panorama knobs of my mixer to the middle position, the chorus effect of Mode I disappears. On the other side the sound of Mode II sounds great if you combine both outputs in mono - in my opinion even better than the standard mono output.
I have never tried summing the wet with dry output. Interesting that it sounds better. I know I would like it as it allows you to adjust the chorus level.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:39 pm

Fascinating.

I believe there is a recent TPS episode on YT demonstrating this phenomenon with various chorus units. Stereo vs "real" stereo etc.