NPD: BOSS BC-2 Combo Drive!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

NPD: BOSS BC-2 Combo Drive!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:04 am

So last night I pulled a slightly hesitant trigger on a BC-2 Combo Drive. Such an odd BOSS that like many seems to have been withdrawn relatively quickly and is thus a bit of a sleeper or become difficult to find (similar to the FB-2).

When it was released they were all over the place in Japan but it seems not so much elsewhere. Yet of course now scouting for one they are all on reverb.com or ebay from Japanese based sellers for a pretty penny! So after a bit of negotiating I sourced one online here that looks in reasonable condition which should be around 8000 yen postage included.

Looking forward to it not least because recently I have been recording with my AC15 and Gibson SG, and very much enjoying the crisp mild breakup of that combo. Checking a few online demos the BC-2 seems to capture that tone quite well.

Who owns one and what are your thoughts?

I thought I would snap it up since few are about and we all know what its like to miss out on something that suddenly becomes unobtanium! (I'm looking at you again FB-2!). I'm hoping the chap may have the box and bits if I am lucky.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: NPD: BOSS BC-2 Combo Drive!

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:55 am

I used to own one. Couldn't find a use for it, but my rig is wildly different to yours ;)

I think it will be something you will enjoy. at least for a while.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:14 am

BC-2 and FB-2, those are the ones that got away from me as well. I haven't tried either of them. My "AC-30 in a box"-pedal is the KORG ToneWorks 105od. It's a '90s digital pedal, but a great one. When I turn it on, my Marshall tube amp sounds completely different, not like with a common overdrive. I wonder if the BC-2 can sound similar and maybe even with 100% clean sound (which the 105od doesn't provide).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Feedbacker
SBZ: Copper

Post by Feedbacker » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:11 am

I always thought it odd that Boss - part of the Korg empire, which also owns Vox - didn't dress up the BC-2 cosmetically to reference the AC30 in some way. Apart from the nice brown case, which kind of ties in with the vintage grille cloth colour, it just looked like another Boss drive pedal.
They could have mimic'ed the Vox logo/ typeface, or the diamond grille pattern graphics, in some way very easily.
They 'Fender-ised' the FBM-1 Bassman, FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb and FRV-1 Reverb pedals, and very nice they looked too. Maybe that was at the insistence of Fender...?

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:19 am

BOSS is a division of Roland in Hamamatsu. VOX is owned by KORG in Tokio. I have never heard that Roland and KORG are linked in any way.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:56 am

Yes being a different concern they merely hinted at the connection with the "Combo Drive" reference.

Apaprently have a "tatty box" inc. in the sale. lol.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:19 am
BOSS is a division of Roland in Hamamatsu. VOX is owned by KORG in Tokio. I have never heard that Roland and KORG are linked in any way.
Did a little digging and came up with the same answer. I don't think they are related...

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:26 pm

Pepe wrote:
I stand corrected! Thank you for the explanation.

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:19 pm
Pepe wrote:
Did a little digging and came up with the same answer. I don't think they are related...
Indeed. I must have had my wires crossed, folks... if you'll pardon the term on a forum about electronic devices :mrgreen: