Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: New (broken) pedal day!

Post by laurie » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:07 pm
Yes, that's something that was suggested years ago when I first asked for it. The LS-2 is a great and versatile tool, but I only have one of them. ;)

Really, I don't know what's so hard to include a clean buffer and a clean blend in a wah pedal. Please, dear pedal companies, read this and think about it for a minute. :idea:
It would be possible to build a blender on a small piece of prototyping board and stuff it into the housing? A single opamp chip plus a few supporting components. I can send a schematic if you like?

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:36 pm

No real need for that at this point. My KEIO Traveler Synthesizer might be humongous, but it has the sound I want. But I'd love to tinker with it when another (cheap) wah crosses my way.

Feel free to post something in a new topic. It might be helpful for lots of guitarists (and maybe clavinet players). :ugeek:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:16 pm
Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm
The original replacement switch by Alps would cost 25 EUR including shipping. Too much for my taste.
I found another source in China at www.lcsc.com and I ordered such an original switch for 12.92 USD including shipping to Germany. I'm going to report back if that's a good source to purchase electronic parts. They offer a lot of the Alps potentiometers and switches and the prices seem to be very fair.

If it arrives and I swap the switch, the pedal's value will increase significantly.
It's nine days later and the switch has already been delivered today! So far it looks like an original Alps switch. The only difference is that it doesn't say "JAPAN" on the bottom, only "ALPS". Are they normally still made in Japan and this one is just a copy? Or did they move elsewhere and don't state that on their parts anymore?

In this picture you can also see where the screw thread of the original switch in the FZ-2 has broken.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:32 pm
In this picture you can also see where the screw thread of the original switch in the FZ-2 has broken.
Good stuff that it arrived so fast! This new supplier is more good info. Thank you.

That is a weird failure mode - I've never seen that before. I'm guessing it must have received a substantial impact on the knob?

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Pepe wrote:
If it arrives and I swap the switch, the pedal's value will increase significantly.
Yes, yes it will :D

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm

laurie wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:00 pm
Pepe wrote:
Good stuff that it arrived so fast! This new supplier is more good info. Thank you.

That is a weird failure mode - I've never seen that before. I'm guessing it must have received a substantial impact on the knob?
The Volume knob was changed as well, plus the pedal was rehoused in a CH-1 enclosure. There must have been a reason for that.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm
The Volume knob was changed as well, plus the pedal was rehoused in a CH-1 enclosure. There must have been a reason for that.
I bit of "blunt force trauma" to the old housing no doubt.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:05 am

I swapped the switch and now the Hyper Fuzz works like a charm. So much better than the semi-broken switch.

Thanks again, laurie, for giving me the information to find the correct replacement part! 8-)

:arrow: And now we can keep LSCS Electronics in mind if we ever need Alps replacement potentiometers and switches.

:idea: Maybe we should create a sticky topic with suppliers of replacement parts for all types of pedals?

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:05 am
:idea: Maybe we should create a sticky topic with suppliers of replacement parts for all types of pedals?
Sounds like a good idea to me!

An initial contribution - some Boss parts here (2 pages of Boss and Ibanez actual or work-alike parts):
https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomm ... est&page=1

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:05 am
I swapped the switch and now the Hyper Fuzz works like a charm. So much better than the semi-broken switch.

Thanks again, laurie, for giving me the information to find the correct replacement part! 8-)

:arrow: And now we can keep LSCS Electronics in mind if we ever need Alps replacement potentiometers and switches.

Congrats Pepe, great job there!

And that is a very useful libnk source too, cheers!