NEW BOSS PEDAL - DS-1W

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: NEW BOSS PEDAL - DS-1W

Post by laurie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:12 pm

I'm honestly struggling with these latest Waza pedals. Boss is a for-profit company so good for them for recognizing a ready market for these products and cashing in with them.

For me, there is absolutely no interest at all.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:25 pm

After the DS-1W release, I've seen many comments on social media about which model will be the next waza craft pedal.

I really like this subject, so here we go again. :D

People roots for their favorite model, and one that is very popular is the SG-1W.

I think that there are some musicians that finds it useful, and that's okay, but Boss probably knows that the SG-1 is also known as "the most disappointing Boss vintage effect".

And that is said probably because the high prices and rarity makes people to praise it as a wonderful pedal, and when they finally have the opportunity to play with it, they realize that it doesn't stands for the fame, or at most, it isn't very useful.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, maybe I'm wrong here, I've being wrong before about Boss intentions, but I don't think Boss will release the SG-1W anytime soon, maybe ever.

One clear sign for that is this short part in the video below where Josh from JHS pedals talks about a conversation with Mr. Yoshi (Boss CEO at that time) suggesting Boss to re-release the SG-1, and Mr. Yoshi replies that JHS could do it, and none company actually did it.

The part begins at the 10:00 minutes mark:

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:25 pm
when they finally have the opportunity to play with it, they realize that it doesn't stands for the fame, or at most, it isn't very useful.
Agreed.

An SG-1 clone was the very first pedal I ever built 15 years ago. Wanted to see what the hype was all about. Interesting as a curiosity and as an introduction to pedal electronics...

$40 for parts to build one is fine. The cost of the real thing? Ridiculous for what it does.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:30 pm

laurie wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:52 pm
Agreed.

An SG-1 clone was the very first pedal I ever built 15 years ago. Wanted to see what the hype was all about. Interesting as a curiosity and as an introduction to pedal electronics...

$40 for parts to build one is fine. The cost of the real thing? Ridiculous for what it does.
I tell people that want a SG-1 to buy a Mooer Slow Engine, it is cheap and works better than the SG-1, I know it does, I have one.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 pm

After BOSS announced the DS-1W, a lot more people than usual watched my SG-1 demo video.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 pm
After BOSS announced the DS-1W, a lot more people than usual watched my SG-1 demo video.
I believe that Pepe, I truly do.

I saw the comments everywhere over the net, and maybe the "people's will" prevails and Boss ultimately releases the SG-1W, proving me wrong, again.

But I dare to say that if that happens, some people will always say the pedal is fantastic, sure, but the real utility of this effect will be exposed to those who never had one and the same rejection the original endured, the new one will too.

I wonder, if it wasn't a success in the late 70's, early 80's, when that kind of effect was a novelty, what will make it a success today? Only the hype?

Many want to have a waza craft version just because they can't afford the original, not because they actually like and have use to that effect.

People will buy it. I will buy it! ( The_Doc will buy it!!! :lol: )

But how many will be sold? Five thousand... Ten thousand? Those are considered fail numbers in the past, imagine today.

I know I'm looking like a devil's advocate here, but my reasons are rational, not emotional, and a SG-1 re-edition makes no sence to me.

There are a lot of SG-1 clones out there, if one really likes the effect, and they are cheaper.

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:50 am

An SG-1W will have a switch to select a much longer swell time...

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:08 am

Saw the demo on Andy Demos and it's pretty good. Not that I'd buy it, I'm happy enough with me plain old DS-1 but there you go.

I really wish they'd stop farting about and do the BF-2 and PH-1r, though. Mind you, I don't need the PH-1r, either; I love the Boo clone. :D

We really do need the BF-2w, though. Really. Very really really. Extremely very really. Doubled.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:36 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 pm

People will buy it. I will buy it! ( The_Doc will buy it!!! :lol: )
This would definitely happen! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:54 am

SamXTherapy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:08 am
Saw the demo on Andy Demos and it's pretty good. Not that I'd buy it, I'm happy enough with me plain old DS-1 but there you go.

I really wish they'd stop farting about and do the BF-2 and PH-1r, though. Mind you, I don't need the PH-1r, either; I love the Boo clone. :D

We really do need the BF-2w, though. Really. Very really really. Extremely very really. Doubled.
A BF-2W should come with a three-way switch to select all the analog flanger models that BOSS made after the BF-1 (BF-2, HF-2, BF-2B).
A PH-2W should be possible as well, just make the switch a three-way switch to select the 4-stage PH-1(R) sound and the two PH-2 modes.

It could be so easy.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram