Is it SMT/SMD or not ?

Old_Iron

Is it SMT/SMD or not ?

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:31 pm

I think I just stumbled in a small piece of information that I never heard about before.

It is useful to identify the new SMT/SMD models, specially the SD-1.

All models that were originally thru-hole and by the end of the MIT became SMT (DS-1, MT-2, BD-2, etc.), had it's 9V input jack changed from the small square inserted jack, to the big, vintage like, slide-in type. Everybody knows that.

So, one can easily identify them. If it has a vintage style 9V jack and the new silver label MIT, or the new black label MIM, it is already a SMT unit.

But the SD-1 always had the vintage style jack, never had the small square one.

I was looking for a SD-1 new silver label MIT when I noticed a difference.

Take a look at this photo I took from the few SMT units I have and some variants thru-hole of the same models:

1 - DS-1 MIJ, black label, thru-hole
2 - DS-1 MIT, new silver label, thru-hole
3 - DS-1 MIT, new silver label, SMT
4 - DS-1 MIM, new black label, SMT

5 - SD-1 MIT, silver label, thru-hole
6 - SD-1 MIM, new black label, SMT
7 - SD-1 4A MIM, new black label, SMT

8 - MT-2 MIT, silver label, thru-hole
9 - MT-2 3A MIM, new black label, SMT

The real vintage 9V jack had the input hole shifted to the output side of the pedal and although it could be twisted, all my vintage units has it like that.

The new big jack in the SMT units has the hole shifted to the input side of the pedal.

And the new SMT jack is soldered in a small pcb, so it can't be twisted.

If you spot a SD-1 for sale and there is no information about the label nor the country of manufacture, but you can see the 9V input jack, if it "points" to the input side of the pedal, it is a SMT unit. Otherwise it is a good old thru-hole.

That's it. As I said, just a tiny piece of info, but I take a great amount of pleasure to find those. :D

bigtone23

Re: Is it SMT/SMD or not ?

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:31 pm
I think I just stumbled in a small piece of information that I never heard about before.

It is useful to identify the new SMT/SMD models, specially the SD-1.

All models that were originally thru-hole and by the end of the MIT became SMT (DS-1, MT-2, BD-2, etc.), had it's 9V input jack changed from the small square inserted jack, to the big, vintage like, slide-in type. Everybody knows that.

So, one can easily identify them. If it has a vintage style 9V jack and the new silver label MIT, or the new black label MIM, it is already a SMT unit.

But the SD-1 always had the vintage style jack, never had the small square one.

I was looking for a SD-1 new silver label MIT when I noticed a difference.

Take a look at this photo I took from the few SMT units I have and some variants thru-hole of the same models:

1 - DS-1 MIJ, black label, thru-hole
2 - DS-1 MIT, new silver label, thru-hole
3 - DS-1 MIT, new silver label, SMT
4 - DS-1 MIM, new black label, SMT

5 - SD-1 MIT, silver label, thru-hole
6 - SD-1 MIM, new black label, SMT
7 - SD-1 4A MIM, new black label, SMT

8 - MT-2 MIT, silver label, thru-hole
9 - MT-2 3A MIM, new black label, SMT

The real vintage 9V jack had the input hole shifted to the output side of the pedal and although it could be twisted, all my vintage units has it like that.

The new big jack in the SMT units has the hole shifted to the input side of the pedal.

And the new SMT jack is soldered in a small pcb, so it can't be twisted.

If you spot a SD-1 for sale and there is no information about the label nor the country of manufacture, but you can see the 9V input jack, if it "points" to the input side of the pedal, it is a SMT unit. Otherwise it is a good old thru-hole.

That's it. As I said, just a tiny piece of info, but I take a great amount of pleasure to find those. :D
Awesome info! :D