fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Million dollar CE-1

Post by fernieite » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:44 am

Old_Iron

Re: Million dollar CE-1

Post by Old_Iron » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:05 pm

I love the cynical excuse to not show the inside and potentially reveal the truth:

"And no I'm not going to open it up and show you the guts. I don't want to release the old mojo air that still lives inside. That air can only be smelled by people that give me 1 million dollars."

Although it seems to be a "for export" unit (117 volts, domestic Japanese runs at 100V.), the "serial" is very strange, looks made-up to me.

Collectible's price escalade attracted all sort of scalpers and people with dubitable sense of honesty, and Reverb is their headquarters.

Another laughable exemples:

A HM-2W for £62,911.88 GBP, just because the batch number is 00100.
https://reverb.com/uk/item/58374659-bos ... -0-0-1-0-0

A CE-1 that supposedly (no real proof on that) belonged to Jonathan Cain (Journey), £1,993.75 GBP.
https://reverb.com/uk/item/56084083-bos ... -s-journey

A very popular "rarity" that pops frequently there is a pink BF-2, but the seller never shows a battery compartment photo to revel the batch number and the real color shade.
Last edited by Old_Iron on Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:45 pm

Just plain ridiculous.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:49 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:05 pm
I love the cynical excuse to not show the inside and potentially reveal the truth:

"And no I'm not going to open it up and show you the guts. I don't want to release the old mojo air that still lives inside. That air can only be smelled by people that give me 1 million dollars."

Although it seems to be a "for export" unit (117 volts, domestic Japanese runs at 100V.), the "serial" is very strange, looks made-up to me.

Collectible's price escalade attracted all sort of scalpers and people with dubitable sense of honesty, and Reverb is their headquarter.

Another laughable exemples:

A HM-2W for £62,911.88 GBP, just because the batch number is 00100.
https://reverb.com/uk/item/58374659-bos ... -0-0-1-0-0

A CE-1 that supposedly (no real proof on that) belonged to Jonathan Cain (Journey), £1,993.75 GBP.
https://reverb.com/uk/item/56084083-bos ... -s-journey

A very popular "rarity" that pops frequently there is a pink BF-2, but the seller never shows a battery compartment photo to revel the batch number and the real color shade.
I've seen the listing for the "pink" BF-2 time and again and to me, it looks like a regular purple in bright light.

Here it is:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/46050994-sup ... anger-pink
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:32 am

SamXTherapy wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:49 pm
I've seen the listing for the "pink" BF-2 time and again and to me, it looks like a regular purple in bright light.
Here it is:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/46050994-sup ... anger-pink
That's the one was talking about.

Yes, a faded paint and light manipulation in the photo to make it look pink.

As I said, no photo of the battery compartment.

Hiding the batch number and the darker, more purple, color inside.

Protected, the paint inside the battery compartment is not faded like the outside is.

And that plate glued at its back could simply mean that it was a unit used as a sample for tryouts.

I have a first batch 9500 BF-2, and it isn't pink at all.

In the Boss book, page 077, starts an interview with some Boss senior employees to talk about the models released up to that time.

At the BF-2 paragraph they say that there were prototypes used in the adds that were pink, so no regular production pedal was painted pink, only a few prototypes.

Because of that interview, some people claim to have a pink BF-2.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm

Quite so. Thing is, a pink pedal would sell these days. The hair metal lads were fond of pink guitars, and there have been several pink pedals on sale, so maybe Boss missed a trick with that one.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:30 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Collectible's price escalade attracted all sort of scalpers and people with dubitable sense of honesty, and Reverb is their headquarters.
This serial plate doesn't have that 70s era look to me, either. The serial plate's wear and tear isn't commensurate with the rest of the pedal, either.
I'm glad you commented on this. I was going to ping ya for your expertise on the subject! :D

Not wanting to show the guts is rather shady, too.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:00 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:30 pm
This serial plate doesn't have that 70s era look to me, either. The serial plate's wear and tear isn't commensurate with the rest of the pedal, either.
Right! Well pointed out.
bigtone23 wrote:
I'm glad you commented on this. I was going to ping ya for your expertise on the subject! :D
Oh, I'm very far from being an expert. Vintage Boss pedals is a subject so vast, full of variables and hidden secrets that no one can really be confident about it.

What bothers me about those sellers is that they show a certain amount of knowledge, they are not newbies, but they on purpose ignores a small detail that is very important for a buyer/collector.

For exemple: They hide the fact that the batch number is no more, the pedal has velcro applied, it has been modded, etc...

Half of my spares are the result of being stupid at the beginning of my collection and jumping into buying a pedal without paying attention, trusting in what the seller says.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:54 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:00 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
Right! Well pointed out.
bigtone23 wrote:
Oh, I'm very far from being an expert. Vintage Boss pedals is a subject so vast, full of variables and hidden secrets that no one can really be confident about it.

What bothers me about those sellers is that they show a certain amount of knowledge, they are not newbies, but they on purpose ignores a small detail that is very important for a buyer/collector.

For exemple: They hide the fact that the batch number is no more, the pedal has velcro applied, it has been modded, etc...

Half of my spares are the result of being stupid at the beginning of my collection and jumping into buying a pedal without paying attention, trusting in what the seller says.
Well, I respect your opinions and findings. You have such a large library/collection of BOSS and have seen, first hand, many details most of us only experience via your sharing! :D

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:49 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:54 am
Well, I respect your opinions and findings. You have such a large library/collection of BOSS and have seen, first hand, many details most of us only experience via your sharing! :D
Thanks bigtone23, if I'm somehow helping, I'm happy. :D