FV500H expression with pedalboard

Steviebone

FV500H expression with pedalboard

Post by Steviebone » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Hello I am trying to add support for multiple expression pedals connected to various pedals on my pedalboard. I settled on the boss FV500 series because they are built like tanks and have a long throw. This is what I wanted. I needed seven of them. Or so I thought. Like a moron, however, I bought all high impedance versions (FV500H) before realizing that they won't work properly with most pedals which expect a lower input impedance... I think. These pedals don't appear to make any change at all in most expression pedal inputs and on those inputs where it works is not working in a linear fashion whatsoever. I suspect that the FV500 also being a volume pedal that the taper may not be linear?

So my question is, having accidentally bought seven of these pedals is there a mod I could do to make them low impedance where they would work properly? Will the 500 L-series work is expected? What's going on here?

Thank you in advance for any input which is much appreciated.

Old_Iron

Re: FV500H expression with pedalboard

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:38 pm

Steviebone wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm
Hello I am trying to add support for multiple expression pedals connected to various pedals on my pedalboard. I settled on the boss FV500 series because they are built like tanks and have a long throw. This is what I wanted. I needed seven of them. Or so I thought. Like a moron, however, I bought all high impedance versions (FV500H) before realizing that they won't work properly with most pedals which expect a lower input impedance... I think. These pedals don't appear to make any change at all in most expression pedal inputs and on those inputs where it works is not working in a linear fashion whatsoever. I suspect that the FV500 also being a volume pedal that the taper may not be linear?

So my question is, having accidentally bought seven of these pedals is there a mod I could do to make them low impedance where they would work properly? Will the 500 L-series work is expected? What's going on here?

Hello Steviebone, welcome to the forum.

Just to make sure, are you using stereo patch cables, as mentioned in the users manual?

"With an optional connection cable (stereo 1/4” phone ←→ stereo 1/4”
phone), you can also use the FV-500H as an expression pedal
."

Steviebone

Post by Steviebone » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:46 pm

yes trs cables... doublechecked on cable tester

Steviebone

Post by Steviebone » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 pm

tried three different FV5600H on 4 different effects... EHX Supra, Chase Bliss Gravitas, Keeley Monterey, belle echo, walrus julianna... poor results on all of them... in some cases there was some effect but the range was no where near linear... basically useless.

Steviebone

Post by Steviebone » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:50 pm

FV500H *

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 pm

If you're using them as expression, rather than volume, pedals then I am not sure the H or L versions are any different? I always assumed that referred to the audio signal?

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:55 pm

Steviebone wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 pm
tried three different FV5600H on 4 different effects... EHX Supra, Chase Bliss Gravitas, Keeley Monterey, belle echo, walrus julianna... poor results on all of them... in some cases there was some effect but the range was no where near linear... basically useless.
Okay.

What about this instruction to calibrate it?

"■ Operation

1. Connect the EXP jack of the FV-500H to the EXP PEDAL (or EV-5)
jack of the instrument you wish to control.

* The FV-500H is similar in design to the Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal and therefore can
be connected to the EXP PEDAL (EV-5) jack on Roland BOSS products. Note that
connecting to other jacks may result in damage to the equipment.

2. Depress the pedal fully and set the maximum volume on the
connected instrument.

3. Return the pedal to the minimum position. Set the minimum volume
using the MINIMUM VOLUME knob on the pedal.

* When setting maximum and minimum values on the connected device, be sure to have the
MINIMUM VOLUME knob set at the minimum level.

4. Adjust the pedal.
Now you can control the volume within the range you have just
specified."

Steviebone

Post by Steviebone » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:17 pm

really? that is for volume, has no effect whatsoever on expression... these pedals suck as expression pedals apparently... question not answered... is the issue impedance? non-linear taper? I tried two different FV500H on several pedals all with same result... not a happy camper... :(

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:42 pm

Steviebone wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:17 pm
really? that is for volume, has no effect whatsoever on expression...
Text came from the user manual, "Using the FV500H as an expression pedal" section.

The manual you clearly didn't read.

Steviebone wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm
I was trying to isolate the problem by elimination, since you begged for help in your first post.

Steviebone wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:17 pm
question not answered...
If you are not satisfied, go look elsewhere.

Steviebone

Post by Steviebone » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:03 am

Geez relax dude. First off, I read that and to me it makes no sense. Volume? I'm not using the volume side of the fv500. What is the max volume on a stomppedal? In other words, what knob am I setting on the pedal? Is this whatever parameter the expression pedal is supposed to be controlling?

For example, lets say I want to control rate... am I setting the minimum and maximum range of the pedal by turning the rate up as high as I want it to go, depress the treadle all the way, then move to heel and set the minimum? I'll try that... doesn't make any sense though. So what happens when you touch the knob later?

Have you ever actually used this pedal in this way or are you just reading a poorly worded user manual? Please forgive my ignorance... I appreciate any assistance... but the question was not answered in any way that worked for me.

"depress and set the volume of the connected instrument" is non-sensical because there is no 'instrument' connected and I'm not setting volume. Also, I asked if this was an impedance issue or something else?