Picked up a couple more yesterday.

bigtone23

Picked up a couple more yesterday.

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Grabbed a Jan 2002 DS1 and June 1993 SD2 yesterday!
The DS1 has a Garmopat Mod sticker on it and appears to have some sort of version of the Keeley Seeing Eye Mod, based on the 3 way clipping switch and red LED poking through the o of Tone. Sounds good, and at $50, it was priced less than what most pedal modifiers would charge to modify an existing DS1.
I also searched around, but found no info on the Garmopat mods. Seems the company/modifier is gone. Anyone have any info on this mod? I see added LEDs/different diodes, changed caps and resistors. Will look into it with more detail when I get some time.
I now have three DS1s, stock 10/'86, JCM800 (and more) modified 10/'11 and this 01/'02 Garmopat one. All unique sounding flavors of DS1.

The SD2 had a bigger LED installed and didn't sound stock. Opening it up reveals a bunch of changed caps and other signs of non factory solder. It also had a note on the plate about what seems to be 4 diode changes to the circuit. When I get a chance, I will compare the replaced components to my stock SD2 and see what is up. It was also a really good deal, so I just grabbed it. This one can be my fun/experiment pedal, while leaving my other stock, as I really like how it sounds.

bigtone23

Re: Picked up a couple more yesterday.

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:08 am

So, after a comparison to the stock and modded DS1s and SD2...
FWIW, the 'new' SD2 is also missing C100, just like my stock one. The new/modded SD2 is waaaay more SD1/TS9 in green mode. The tone control has a very reduced range. It's like the stock tone control range from 0-2. It also has much more mid push/less lows and highs.
The red mode has a little less bass and more upper mids, kinda Marshall-y.
Gotta say, I prefer the stock tones. I will mod this one back a notch or so. I might leave green mode alone, as it's a great boost to my dirty amps, but red mode has got to get back closer to stock.
The Garmopat DS1 3 modes are:
1. Sort of like the stock DS1, but less gain, volume and more upper mids. Less scoopy.
2. Much like my Wampler JCM800 modded DS1, but with a touch more mid push in the 600Hz zone and a touch of high end roll off.
3. LED mode is a little more raw and grainy vs mode #2. Less mids.