Another wild idea... micro pedals

SamXTherapy

Another wild idea... micro pedals

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:54 am

Anyone think Boss will eventually jump on the micro pedals bandwagon? From a materials cost perspective, it'd make sense, and since many of their stomps have teeny little circuit boards in 'em now, the standard housing is a bit redundant.

I'm not a fan of micro pedals, simply because I can't see a real advantage. I don't have the world's hugest feet, but a respectable US 11/UK 10, they ain't the smallest, either. I couldn't cram a ton of micro pedals on a board and be sure to hit the right one in the heat of battle, so for me at least, there's no real win. I guess the reduced weight would be a factor but I'm a strong lad anyhow.

All that said, can anyone see Boss rolling out micro pedals eventually? They're not just made by the cheapies these days; some of the "boutique" guys make 'em, and even mainstream companies such as Ibanez have a few.

Opinions?
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Another wild idea... micro pedals

Post by BearBoy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:07 pm

I've got 3 or 4 of them but I'm not a massive fan of micro pedals tbh. Pedalboard space isn't really an issue for me and given the choice I'd rather have a "standard" sized pedal. Appreciate that some people find them super useful though when trying to fit lots of effects on a pedal board or just want a really small board to carry around.

If Boss did go down that road, I'd prefer they used smaller versions of their compact cases rather than the micro cases everyone else uses. A bit like those Valeton Boss clones that came out a few years back:

Feedbacker
SBZ: Copper

Post by Feedbacker » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:49 am

An interesting idea, but I don't think it would suit the brand - Boss's classic stomp box design was the micro pedal of the day in the 1970s, has remained a 'design classic' ever since, and for them to introduce a selection of mini versions now would seem too much like following a market trend instead of setting one. (Mind you, how many sports car makers now also produce 4x4 land cruisers?!)
I love micro pedals, by the way. The first brand I saw doing them was Mooer, and they really seemed something different and appealing - although I agree, a board of JUST micro pedals would be a nightmare to use live. But a Boss range? I can't see it....

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:15 pm

I don't get micro pedals with 1/4" jacks. Switch to 1/8 if it's going to be a thing

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:22 pm

Or Bluetooth.

Imagine having the pedals on your board all connected together by Bluetooth, with an app that allows you to change the pedal order and all parameters...

But then you might as well buy an AxeFX.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:17 pm

I can understand 1/4" jacks, since it's a standard in guitar stuff and thereby easily hooked up to your MXR whatnot and so on. I wouldn't want Bluetooth anywhere near my stuff, thanks. Unreliable at the best of times, slow and prone to all kinds of shenanigans. Ask Fender about their Bluetooth amp. :D

Me, I have a couple of micro pedals (but one is off the board) but I don't really care for 'em. As I said before, no net gain since you need to have room for feet and, in the thick of things, it's not always possible to look down and make a careful selection. I guess someone could make a killing with "Toe Extender" attachments, or maybe ridiculously pointy shoes would be fashionable again.

It was just wild speculation anyhow.

Feedbacker
SBZ: Copper

Post by Feedbacker » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:30 pm

SamXTherapy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:17 pm
I guess someone could make a killing with "Toe Extender" attachments, or maybe ridiculously pointy shoes would be fashionable again.
ha, brilliant! '(micro) pedal-friendly' shoes :mrgreen:
Boss could then go into partnership with Hugo Boss, thus leading the charge as musical equipment makers merge with fashion labels, and a new era of uber-brands taking over the leisure sector :mrgreen:

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm

Feedbacker wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:30 pm
SamXTherapy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:17 pm
I guess someone could make a killing with "Toe Extender" attachments, or maybe ridiculously pointy shoes would be fashionable again.
ha, brilliant! '(micro) pedal-friendly' shoes :mrgreen:
Boss could then go into partnership with Hugo Boss, thus leading the charge as musical equipment makers merge with fashion labels, and a new era of uber-brands taking over the leisure sector :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 am

BearBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:07 pm
I've got 3 or 4 of them but I'm not a massive fan of micro pedals tbh. Pedalboard space isn't really an issue for me and given the choice I'd rather have a "standard" sized pedal. Appreciate that some people find them super useful though when trying to fit lots of effects on a pedal board or just want a really small board to carry around.

If Boss did go down that road, I'd prefer they used smaller versions of their compact cases rather than the micro cases everyone else uses. A bit like those Valeton Boss clones that came out a few years back:

I like those BOSS-esque enclosures! I'd buy micros like that.
I have very little use for micros, but one board has a couple on it just because of the space requirements.
Would love to replace those cheap Chinese micros with BOSS micros: particularly a DM- and maybe a micro TR-, CE- and TU-.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:37 pm

I'd much prefer if they went to the full on Micro route, if they did such a thing. Purely for the fun look, mind you, since I'm not convinced of their utility, as opposed to a full size pedal. It'd be great if they had a similar look to the Valeton range, though, just the regular Micro size housing, and controls in keeping with the overall Boss look, rather than those cheap and nasty looking Valeton things.