DC2 vs DC3

bigtone23

DC2 vs DC3

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:52 am

I need more pedals like a hole in the head, but this has been eating at me for a few months now...

Despite having plenty of cool, chorus-y pedals, (analog CE2, CE5, CE2B, CE3B, plus Digital: Whammy WH1 and WH5 that I love in shallow detune mode), I would like to get a Dimension family pedal for it's unique voice.
It doesn't hurt that it's pink, either. ;)
Obviously, the DC2W is an easy acquisition and I would benefit from a newer pedal with new components, so it's seemingly a 'no issue' purchase for the next decade or three.

However, the DC3 piques my interest more, because, well... knobs!
...and being legitimately old, like the rest of my BOSS family.
The Digital Space D kind of has the upper hand over the Digital Dimension, just because of the name. C'mon, "Space D?" That's cool. :D

I would most likely use it mono in and stereo out. I know it's best used in stereo.

That said, what say you, great BOSS heads? Which DC2/DC2W/DC3 do you prefer, and why?

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Re: DC2 vs DC3

Post by The_Doc » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:28 am

I have one of each and my go to is the DC-3. I like the additional control that one gives you. I use it, in stereo, through a Roland JC-40. It’s much more than a chorus and provides a richer sense of stereo if that makes sense ! Even with the modulation and depth down low the effect is great for adding width and body to the sound.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:32 pm

Thinking to use it in mono only, I would vote for the DC-3, but if you want a very rich chorus and don't have a JC-40, like Doc, to add the effect, I would go with the waza DC-2W because it is the only stereo IN model.

Since you already have a stereo out chorus (CE-5), you can use it to feed the DC-2W with it and have a much "dimensional" chorus.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:24 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:28 am
I have one of each and my go to is the DC-3. I like the additional control that one gives you. I use it, in stereo, through a Roland JC-40. It’s much more than a chorus and provides a richer sense of stereo if that makes sense ! Even with the modulation and depth down low the effect is great for adding width and body to the sound.
This is why I have been haunted with the Dimension. It's it's own thing and offers that something-something a chorus doesn't. Knobs are a big factor.
Old_Iron wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:32 pm
Thinking to use it in mono only, I would vote for the DC-3, but if you want a very rich chorus and don't have a JC-40, like Doc, to add the effect, I would go with the waza DC-2W because it is the only stereo IN model.

Since you already have a stereo out chorus (CE-5), you can use it to feed the DC-2W with it and have a much "dimensional" chorus.
I would most likely go mono in/stereo out, but knowing me, there would also be a lot of mono use. However, the stereo in of the DC2W is a very cool option. It could easily be patched in as the last pedal in my chain, after the stereo delay.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 am

I remember reading about something Matt Schofield (a talented blues guitarist), recalled on getting a thicker tone through two amps and making his sound more ‘spatial’. He used a DD-3 with a very short delay and one repeat, to get the effect. The DC-3 can do a similar thing and with the bonus of modulation thrown in to create chorus type effects.

It is a pedal that you will need to turn right up as the effect can be quite subtle but it is definitely one of those that you’ll miss when you turn it off.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm

I'm gonna look for a DC3, particularly the Digital Space D. It's the most different from my current holdings in the chorus wheelhouse.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:20 am

Whelp,
I have a DC-3 Digital Space D on the way from Japan. While I was at it, the same shop had a SD-2 in nice condition also for a very fair price, so I added it to the order. They should be arriving early next week.
Do I need them? No! Am I really looking forward to having them? YES! :D :D :D

This is my first Dimension pedal. Can't wait to go stereo with it.
The SD2 always impresses me with my bandmate's set up. Looking forward to rocking one with my amps!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:23 am

The_Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 am
I remember reading about something Matt Schofield (a talented blues guitarist), recalled on getting a thicker tone through two amps and making his sound more ‘spatial’. He used a DD-3 with a very short delay and one repeat, to get the effect. The DC-3 can do a similar thing and with the bonus of modulation thrown in to create chorus type effects.

It is a pedal that you will need to turn right up as the effect can be quite subtle but it is definitely one of those that you’ll miss when you turn it off.
I am looking forward to trying out a setting that circulates around the webs: level around 8, depth and rate at 0, tone to taste. Supposedly, it gives that depth/space/spread without a lot of color.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:40 am

I got my DC3 and SD2. Really enjoying them so far!

visserman

Post by visserman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:09 pm

I am a little late here, anyway, and you also have your DC-3.

I also prefer the DC-3, and as the Doc. mentioned before, you do need to turn the level up further than usual to get the sound noticed.
DC-2 is very overrated I think, DC-3 does not sound like any of the chorus's you already have.

What about the SD-2? Thought you would have had that one already, maybe you have got now a second one who knows?
It can produce a great Hiwatt sound.
Anyway, enjoy!