Used PH-1r - is it really in original condition?

Erwinsoundsystem

Re: Used PH-1r - is it really in original condition?

Post by Erwinsoundsystem » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:12 am

sclitheroe wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm
So how does it sound compared to Pepe's demo? :D
I'll try it with Pepe's line out recordings through my setup, I hope I'll find the time to do that on Sunday (and I hope I get it together).
"The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living."

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm

There is a British maker who made a clone of the PH-1r, Boo instruments. You can pick up their pedals on Reverb, so maybe someone rehoused one of those in an old Boss box. It would be simpler - probably - than making a forgery from scratch.

Edited to add - New ones are around £110, but you can get 'em used for half of that.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Erwinsoundsystem

Post by Erwinsoundsystem » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:50 am

Unfortunately, work is taking up my entire weeks right now, so I don't get to deal with the pedal properly.

Thank you Sam for your pointer.The circuit board in my knockoff is very large (like the original Boss ones), I suspect it wouldn't fit in the kind of enclosure that Boo Instruments uses.

I actually had a friendly person contact me via Ebay. He also bought a plagiarized PH-1r. The unit looks exactly like mine: clear coat, new components, homemade PCB, etc. I guess it looks like someone made a small batch of it.
"The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living."

Erwinsoundsystem

Post by Erwinsoundsystem » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:46 pm

I,ve found the time to make a recording. I used Pepe's first sound file with my RC-3 and played them through my Mustang GTX50 with a clean Marshall emulation. The effect is set to the same settings as in Pepe's video:

https://soundcloud.com/user-134089530/ph-1r

Sounds quite different...

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 pm

Erwinsoundsystem wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 pm
I am now looking for the person who built the pedal: I would love to hear the story about this curious pedal (no bad intentions or hidden agenda - I promise). If you read this, please get in touch with me.
I wonder, there is a guy that builds really cool "what if?" BOSS pedals. I think he is in Indonesia? The coolest one was the Centaur CT3. Wonder if he knows about this PH1R?
https://images.app.goo.gl/nXxKufop6GagSXNA7

jjone
SBZ: Copper

Post by jjone » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:34 am

Erwinsoundsystem your pedal is identicat to mine: same components, hardware and stickers. I've also found it in Germany (on Ebay Klenanzeigen), even mine paid 100 euros.
When arrived in January I immediately realized that it was a counterfeit. I asked for the return of the money and made a report to Ebay. But nothing ...
Fortunately, at the same price, I just found a completely original silver screw. This lifted my spirits!

René1983

Post by René1983 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:38 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Matthias alias René.

I am a new joiner. live in Spain and I am a big fan of Boss pedals. Unfortunately I had the bad luck to buy one of these fake Boss PH-1r a few months ago on Ebay Kleinanzeigen
(I lived in Germany a few years ago and usually buy gear on this platform). I wish I found this page before... I was suspicious and indeed the stompbox was to clean to be true... the seller was not a professional and refused me to return the counterfeit product.

Then I contacted Boss' customer service and the reply was a bit pathetic.... I have got an email that confirms that my stompobox is a real one and they sent me their congratulations, even if I listed all the features and errors that prove this PH-1r is not real.

Anyway, mine works but the sound is too bright, almost harsh with some single coil guitars. I am afraid I will have to keep this fake stompbox all my life so I was wondering if somebody can suggest me mods that could help me to improve the sound.

I have started to check all the components today, comparing them to the schematics found on internet and have not figured out any "error" that could explain the harsh sound. Then I will check that each component works correctly.
Last edited by René1983 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 pm

Welcome from Germany, Matthias! 8-)
René1983 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:38 pm
the seller was not a professional and refused me to return the counterfeit product.
That's utterly unprofessional. I fear that the purchase is too long ago to insist on taking it back or to ask the (rather bad) customer service of the "kleinanzeigen" what can be done.
René1983 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:38 pm
Then I contacted Boss' customer service and the reply was a bit pathetic.... I have got an email that confirms that my stompobox is a real one and they sent me their congratulations, even if I listed all the features and errors that prove this PH-1r is not real.
Oh, that's really crazy. Obviously an automatic response, I guess. :roll:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:07 am

Put a capacitor in parallel with R26 should take out some of the high-end. Start with 1nF but experiment.

Suggestion - sell it onwards as a curiosity and put the money towards a PH-1 (not "R").

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:39 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:07 am
Put a capacitor in parallel with R26 should take out some of the high-end. Start with 1nF but experiment.

Suggestion - sell it onwards as a curiosity and put the money towards a PH-1 (not "R").
Weird, everyone seems to be recommending the PH-1 now. :|
A few months ago I asked for opinions on which one to buy, and most said to get the PH-1R... :?: