Boss PH-1, a theory. WRONG !!!

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Boss PH-1, a theory. WRONG !!!

Post by laurie » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:46 pm

I've been there. Had 300+ pedals in the collection at one point. Almost every type and many variants.

But a time came when it "wasn't fun anymore" ... I have a lot of empathy for where you are.

Eight years after I sold nearly every pedal in the collection I'm slowly collecting again, but limiting myself to buying broken ones that I can fix.

My point being that you will never not want to collect - but it will ebb and flow. Don't make any hasty decisions. There are pedals I sold 8 years ago that I really wish I still had.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 pm

fernieite wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:13 pm
Oh man, sorry to hear that! :x
Dirk wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 pm
People like that spoil the fun for others. I'm not a collector, but I feel your pain, man!
BearBoy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:01 pm
Sorry to hear you missed out on that elusive PH-1, Old Iron. Don't let that ruin your enjoyment of the (amazing) collection you have built up though.
laurie wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:46 pm
I've been there. Had 300+ pedals in the collection at one point. Almost every type and many variants.

But a time came when it "wasn't fun anymore" ... I have a lot of empathy for where you are.

Eight years after I sold nearly every pedal in the collection I'm slowly collecting again, but limiting myself to buying broken ones that I can fix.

My point being that you will never not want to collect - but it will ebb and flow. Don't make any hasty decisions. There are pedals I sold 8 years ago that I really wish I still had.
Thanks for the support guys. 👍

Yeah, the lost of that pedal was a blow, it would complete my traffic light trio from the very first batch.

You are right Laurie, I will keep the ones I like and feel good by having them and I will keep a complete collection, just will drop the variants from models that I don't care so much. About 100 units. :(

Thanks again.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:45 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm
Unfortunately it is true, I found one for sale (auction) in japan last week, I asked a seller I know there for years to buy it for me, he said okay, he bought many of my rare pedals in auctions like that before, I always pay him a good commission.

I was watching the PH-1 auction live and it sold for only 27000 yen (US$ 195.00), I immediately emailed him asking if we won, no answer for more than 24 hours, and when he replied, he told me that he missed the auction because he misunderstood the time it would end.

I think he lied, he got greedy and bought it to himself to sell to another costumer for a much higher profit.

That's the second time the same thing happened, recently there was a DS-1 7200 (second batch), also for auction, sold also very cheap and he did the same thing, that time he blamed his internet connection.

I won't do business with him anymore.

I had the PH-1 auction webpage saved, with photos, but I got pissed and deleted everything.

I'm loosing the joy of collecting, tomorrow I will start to sell my spares, and maybe I will put for sell most of the variants too.

I will keep some models I like the most and some rare variants. It's not as fun as it used to be.
Ask me my friend! I live in Japan and it has to be said live far to much on Yahoo Japan!

I've had negative days like that and once became quite angry. But after tht I calmed down after seeing just how much stuff comes through daily, and most stuff tends to pop up again at somepoint or something else of equal interest.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:49 am

I would add though that prices have absolutely soared in the last year or so to really quite ridiculous levels which precludes me from buying anything particularly rare for my own collection, and in the last few months I've enjoyed going back to my earlier collecting self, sub $100, "interesting" pedals (with the odd exception!). 

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Yeah, since the older MIJ BOSS stuff has had a pretty steep price increase, I don't just buy and sell them like I used to. When you could find a CE2 for $50, it was fun to just buy them, try them, and keep the best one or two.
Same thing happened with US made Peavey stuff from the 70s-early 90s (my other favorite thing). It used to be cheap and easy, now it's moderately priced, so sitting at the table to find a slightly better example is not as fun.