DS-1, DS-2 and DF-2 and How We Can Change Our Mind About Sound!!

visserman

DS-1, DS-2 and DF-2 and How We Can Change Our Mind About Sound!!

Post by visserman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:58 pm

I could remember I had created a post about the three pedals on the StompBoxZone site.
Here it is:

https://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/view ... y#p5094S-1

When I had written that I was comparing and contrasting and listing out for details.

Today in a very different playing scenario and set-up I feel the same about the DS-1: Absolutely great and open pedal.

The DS-2 can be very bright, whereas the DF-2 can be much fuller in sound. This observation is based on playing and doing what I do without thinking about sound quality or anything else.
Of course, everyone uses their pedals in different set-ups and plays different kinds of music.

Over last year or so, used the three delays and the DS-1, and just play all kinds of things, basically create what that set-up can give me.
It is probably the longest period I used the DS-1 for in any loop scenario.

Over last two months, swapped the DS-1 for DS-2 and DF-2. So DS-2 and DF-2 being used both in the set-up for the delays, and here is when I started to notice how much fuller the DF-2 can sound. DS-2 mainly used in mode 1 as regular distortion rather than the Turbo mode, which I find often "over the top"
The "Warp" mode of the DD6 and the Feedback Mode on the DF-2 work very well together, this is a added bonus which I was already aware of, but have nothing to do with the character-and quality of the distorted sound!

Of course my observation is nothing new, I just find it interesting how you can view pedals in a different way when you approach them in a different way (making music instead of focusing on sonic details!)

Still, some pedals will give you the sound you want quicker and their sound may be more convincing ( enough treble, bass, detail etc.) compared to others. Some pedals may satisfy you more musically. When you have not that many dirt pedals you may remember your favourites, when you have a few more, it may be a case of "discovering" again what their unique features are.

Maybe I should try a similar thing with my OD pedals?, although the OD-1 without tone control, using that Non-stop for one year...??..!!..

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: DS-1, DS-2 and DF-2 and How We Can Change Our Mind About Sound!!

Post by fernieite » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am

Yep, the plain old DS-1 is a great pedal. I have an early one from 1978. (7500) Never felt the need to try the other two.

An OD comparison? Maybe use a SD-1 instead of the OD-1, if you want a tone control. :geek:
(Although, the 14 pin OD wouldn't be in the equation then ;) )

visserman

Post by visserman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:47 pm

fernieite wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am
Yep, the plain old DS-1 is a great pedal. I have an early one from 1978. (7500) Never felt the need to try the other two.
1970s
An OD comparison? Maybe use a SD-1 instead of the OD-1, if you want a tone control. :geek:
(Although, the 14 pin OD wouldn't be in the equation then ;) )
Well the OD-1 is a much nicer sound compared to the SD-1 eh?
I will get the OD-1, HM-2 and OD-3 in line. To my ears that is the evolution of the OD sound, from 1970s Marshall up to the JCM 900 with the OD-3.
It may be hard to stick with that set-up for a while since the OD's are a little less versatile compared to the DS pedals.
Hey I should just try it, and play and see what the OD pedals give me musically instead of remembering what kind of music I made whilst using the DS pedals!

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Being a vintage Marshall kind of guy, I love the overdrive, distortion, fuzz and booster types of pedal to push the preamp tubes into distortion bliss.

My collection began as a "all drive pedals from Boss" and evolved to the whole compact line.

My pick on vintage Boss distortions would be: DS-1, DS-2 and MZ-2.

The DS-1 is like a "diva", you need to know how to please it right, but then it is perfect.

The DS-2 has transistors as gain stages, therefore has a more "tubey" kind of sound, very good if you have only a solid state amp.

The MZ-2 Metalizer is a gem, with 2 circuits inside, one analog and one digital, the distortion is analog, and it is smooth as velvet. Very underrated pedal.

Vintage overdrives I like:

OD-1 (Raytheon RC3403ADB chip and Toshiba 1S1588 blue stripe diodes)

SD-1 (I prefer the JRC 4558D chip with the Rohms 1S2473 yellow stripe diodes)

OD-2 (another one with transistors as gain stages, fantastic)

And the BD-2 (again, "tranies" as gain stages).

More modern ones, the ML-2 and the BC-2 are nice different options for distortions.

And, if (and only if) you have an effect loop in your amp or a stand alone power amp, the MT-2 Metal Zone working as a preamp is a monster for metal! 🤘

visserman

Post by visserman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Old Iron,

I like your observations about the pedals you mentioned.
Amazing to see that you started out with your love for the dirt pedals and from there went to the whole compact range.

Have never tried a MZ-2. I was going to get one then changed my mind ( "how many more pedals do you really need?" )

I have a Marshall Bass 12 which is modified for various ideas, one being able to plug straight into the power amp. I have done the MT-2 test, and I like the sound, but I have to be honest, the MT-2 straight into the amp sounds great as well. With the MT-2 it is all about settings and understanding the parametric EQ. I am sure you done, but for some people this may be confusing.

No mention of the OD-3. Not a fan? I liked it straight away, yes a more modern sound compared to the OD-1. Reminds me very much of the JCM 900.

A bit of topic, but since you mentioned Fuzz, how do you feel about the FZ-3?

It is so hard not to compare eh? Whenever I use that pedal, I want to get the FZ-2 out to see what is missing in the FZ-3.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:43 am

visserman wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 pm
I have a Marshall Bass 12 which is modified for various ideas, one being able to plug straight into the power amp. I have done the MT-2 test, and I like the sound, but I have to be honest, the MT-2 straight into the amp sounds great as well. With the MT-2 it is all about settings and understanding the parametric EQ. I am sure you done, but for some people this may be confusing.
Hey visserman,

The MT-2 was the second Boss pedal I bought, at the early 2000s (OD-2r was the first), and I like it plugged strait, but it shines so bright as a preamp that I like to suggest to everybody to try it like that.

I remember just after I bought it to sit down and learn how to use it's EQ, I think the EQ is it's best feature. The ability to dial exactly what you want in the mid frequencies is very powerful tone wise.
No mention of the OD-3. Not a fan? I liked it straight away, yes a more modern sound compared to the OD-1. Reminds me very much of the JCM 900.
I like it, sure, but it isn't my most favorite OD, a tiny bit "unnatural" maybe, a bit "boutique sounding", I don't know how to explain. Maybe I am biased by the combination of a pedal and my JCM800, and the others ODs performs better in this case. But it is a very good overdrive, nevertheless.

My opinion about the OD-3 above reminds me "Herr Direktor" criticizing Mozart's music in the movie Amadeus: "Too many notes". :lol:
A bit of topic, but since you mentioned Fuzz, how do you feel about the FZ-3?
Love it, an "easy going" type of fuzz, kinda like my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix System Classic Fuzz, which you can put anywhere in the board and it will deliver smoothly and predictably.
Whenever I use that pedal, I want to get the FZ-2 out to see what is missing in the FZ-3.
As you know, the FZ-2 has a few modes, but I would say savagery. Compared to the FZ-3, the FZ-2 is a bit more like an old time fuzz, less predictably and a bit savage.

I prefer the FZ-3, and just to mention the FZ-5, it is a very good paperweight. :D

visserman

Post by visserman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 pm

Yes I know what you mean about the OD-3, almost too much.

Interesting observation about the FZ3, yes I think I miss it old fashioned fuzz sound like on the FZ-2, even though that is not really a authentic Fuzz sound, but sounds closer to one compared to the FZ-3.

I have to check the FZ-3 closer after your observation about smoothness.

Hmm, FZ-5 I will leave that one for the profs...

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:54 pm

After years of never needing or using dirt pedals, I decided to buy a few just for fun. I use a two channel amp, with one set to slightly hotter than classic rock, the other one a pushed clean.

Using a variety of dirt and drive pedals, I can get no end of extra tones from the "clean" channel. I'd heard a lot of bad things about the DS-1 but, since it was dirt cheap - pun not intended - I thought I'd give it a go. Just right for what it does, and a definite keeper. The others I now have are a BD-2 - very nice indeed and SD-1, which I like because it's a kind of Tubescreamer for people who don't like Tubescreamers. I also added a Rat clone to the set - Donner Dark Mouse, which is rather nice and gnarly.

So, I agree with many people here who say you should never underestimate some of the older, "simple" pedals.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:08 am

The older pedals are so killer.
I have MIJ: DS1, DF2, SD1, OD2 and OD1 (4558).
I also have MIT BD2 and OS2 with a MIT DS1 on the way for mods. An OD3 is on my radar.
It's all in how you set them and if it makes you happy. I know I love them all.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:08 am
The older pedals are so killer.
I have MIJ: DS1, DF2, SD1, OD2 and OD1 (4558).
I also have MIT BD2 and OS2 with a MIT DS1 on the way for mods.
So I did some mods to the MIT DS1 and it turned out great! It's very Marshall In A Box now.
I have a separate post detailing it. It's now a very unique BOSS Distortion pedal to add to my mix. I don't think there is another BOSS that sounds like this. However, I have limited experience with ones like the Power Stack, or Combo Drive, which may sound more like this modded DS1.