BOSS Pedals you sold like a fool and are thinking of rebuying!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

BOSS Pedals you sold like a fool and are thinking of rebuying!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 am

We've probably all done it, the cash strapped pockets, the lure of something more fancy with more knobs and features, something you hadn't used and the value did not seem so high at the time so off it went....

So, today's ponderance! What pedals have you sold off in the midst of time and are now intending to/or perhaps thinking about buying back for your collection/board or what not? :)

Whilst I never went bananas on collecting every BOSS pedal I did enjoy picking a few up at reasonable cost, and used them regularly as part of my BCB-6 board and other early boards. Oh the pleasure's! One early staple - and for me a move into "pro" territory was upgrading my plastic Danelectro Tuna Melt up into a TR-2.  Solid, usable, easy to dial in, I can remember the place of purchase and the satisfaction at the time. Ditto a particularly nice boxed FZ-3, which I instantly regretted when it sold on Ebay. Luckily that one I have snagged again though at double the price! In the same ballpark I did have an FZ-5 in order to complete the collection of FZs, and again sold it without really giving it a fair shake.

Those are my two "got away" regrets with sort of a sentimental attachment too. 

Adding to the list I enjoyed the BD-2 as a low gain always on breakup sound when using into dead clean amps. In more recent times I've gone down the more boutique-y/unique route, and have probably become inadvertently snobbish with my choices and dismissed this ubiquitous but absolutely solid little blue box. Had one and sold one...

So there's my three to reclaim from the BOSS bunch, TR-2, BD-2 and perhaps an FZ-5!

What are yours? (if any!) :)

Old_Iron

Re: BOSS Pedals you sold like a fool and are thinking of rebuying!

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:21 pm

My first proof that I'm not a fool, I never sold a Boss pedal.😁

Let me suggest you that if you want to replace those models with a little bit of an advantage over the ones you sold, buy the PN-2, the FZ-3 and the BD-2W.

Fuzzbuzzfuzz-san, please tell me the link to that page where I could reach Mr. Yoshi to ask him about those "refurbished" Boss pedals from the 1982/83 period, どうもありがとうございます.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 pm

I think that fuzzbuzzfuzz has two PN-2 units already. ;)

I only regret that I didn't buy a few BOSS pedals when they were still affordable: BF-2B, DC-3, DM-3, FB-2, FRV-1, FZ-3, HF-2. Those are the ones that I have never had but would like to try out someday.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 pm
I think that fuzzbuzzfuzz has two PN-2 units already. ;)
Oh, so he knows.

The PN-2 after a DC-2 or a DC-3, in "stereo" mode, is a leslie cab in a box, or two boxes.
Pepe wrote:
I only regret that I didn't buy a few BOSS pedals when they were still affordable: BF-2B, DC-3, DM-3, FB-2, FRV-1, FZ-3, HF-2. Those are the ones that I have never had but would like to try out someday.

Beside the bass pedal BF-2B, that I have it but I don't use it, I stand for the others very much.

Specially the FRV-1, love it.

The FB-2 is a hidden gem, I don't care for the feedback thing, but somehow this pedal enhances the sound, kinda like those "loudness" buttons that those sound systems used to have in the 80's, very cool pedal.

visserman

Post by visserman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Personally I keep all the pedals I have.
Not really a collector, but a user.
There may be pedals you may not have a use for, but then your playing style may change or your idea of what you like.

Recently I have been using the DF-2 and the DS-2 a lot more, and discovered new characteristics about them which I was not aware of before.

Fuzzbuzz mentioned the BD-2, now that is one I would not mind replacing for a Keely version of someone else's version, since the pedal is lacking in subtlety.

I think it is very easy to nit pick over certain pedals and what they are lacking. Fuzzbuzz also mention the boutique thing. I think the Boss pedal do have a more basic sound, maybe more pure, just as the earlier pedals.

When I heard Fuzzbuzz clip of Laurie's new overdrive I had that feel as well: It was almost like it sounded too good. This is not a criticism, just a observation.

I would say, keep your pedals, use them, and play them in various settings and you may enjoy what they can give you musically.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am

visserman wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm
Personally I keep all the pedals I have.
Not really a collector, but a user.
Same here. I've never sold any of my Boss pedals.
Pepe wrote:
Same here. Wish I'd picked up a PN-2 and FRV-1, amongst others, before the prices got a bit silly. Still hoping for a PN-2w or PN-3.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:50 am

I used to have a full collection.... 200+ Boss pedals, nearly all the variants. I sold them as a collection when I moved countries nearly 10 years ago. If I had kept them the collection would be worth double or more now.

Hindsight is 20-20, eh?

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 am

Interesting thoughts gentlemen!

Yes, I do have two PN-2s (I once had 3 and I sort of regret selling my third), but sometimes I tend to sell the second in order to finance a "don't have", such as the recent wallet breaking VB-2 purchase and two OD-1s, to broaden the BOSS inventory must diminish the numbers of duplicates. I prefer to trade existing stock rather than lose cash I don't have haha.

Ah yes the DM-3, I do keep my eyes out for those, the prices slumped after the DM-2W came out but then steadily rose. Not killer but at the moment non essential as I am well stocked for analog delays.

Almost bought a FB-2 for about $120 and again passed at the time, slight regret now!

Ultimately I tend to have a "feel" for some pedals and not others, whether it's the look, sound or "vibe". 

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:26 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 am
Ultimately I tend to have a "feel" for some pedals and not others, whether it's the look, sound or "vibe". 
The one BOSS pedal that has it all is the original DC-2. Image
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 am

Pepe wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:26 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 am
The one BOSS pedal that has it all is the original DC-2. Image
Indeed Pepe, a marvelous box in a favorite color, though I confess I have never given it a true spin in stereo!  :o

And once again I did actually purchase two, at what would now be considered very reasonable prices, but typically sold the 2nd duplicate to fund other purchases!  In some respects a slight shame as I usually prefer to have one "keeper" in the drawer and one "worker" on the pedalboard.

Nevertheless perhaps I'll dig out my original purchase and give it a respin, particularly since my all purple board is being rejigged! :lol:

Oddly I have heard some rumors that the reissue is not as good? Could of course be hot air...aunty thoughts from someone who owns both?