Got a broken ML2 yesterday...

bigtone23

Got a broken ML2 yesterday...

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:55 pm

I was at a local music store checking out a 1980 MXR Distortion + that was priced very right. Decided to buy it and they mentioned this broken BOSS Metal Core to me. It powered up but didn't pass signal. Since they don't fix pedals and know me as a BOSS lover, they gave it to me!
I did notice that the output jack was loose at the store. When i got it home and opened it up, the single white wire that goes to the jack was broken off. One quick solder joint and it works perfectly!
Never played one before, and here are my opinionated thoughts.
It's from June, 2007 and is in 9.5/10 condition. Has the big circuit board, but SMD components and a HUGE chip.
It's definitely not my kind of dirt pedal. Even with the gain all the way down, it's still too distorted and compressed for my tastes. Not surprising, it is part of the "Metal" family of pedals.
The bass knob really adds a lot of super deep low end warble when anywhere above about 4. Lots of treble on tap, too. It usually has to be under 3 to sound balanced.
Well, not my style, but the price was right. :D
The D+ is more my style (I set it low gain) and it replaces a same era block logo D+ I used to own in 1982-1983, before I sold it when I went all BOSS in 1983. A nostalgic purchase. I had that D+ and Phase 45 on my first 'pedalboard.'
Anywho... I may just sell it or pay it forward to some young kid. If I ever need that much gain, my amps and other distortion pedals can get that much gain in a fashion that works better to my ears.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Got a broken ML2 yesterday...

Post by Pepe » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Wow, nice score! 8-)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Indeed. Super good to get a score like that.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:55 am

Well, for the financial gain option, I put it up on Reverb and ebay. It sold within 30 minutes of posting.
After the fees, I have $60.56 in my pocket. Well worth it for a 10 minute fix and 5 minute listing. The new owner digs it.
Win Win Win!
I'll use the funds to finance the D+. Now I got that D+ for a late 80s price. haha