Boss TU-3 tuner help

iio58

Boss TU-3 tuner help

Post by iio58 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi everyone.

Call me a plonker if you like but I'm new to this. I bought a Boss TU-3 pedal about 2 weeks ago. First week it worked fine, but now I have noticed it seems to be registering notes, and the scale moving even when I am not plucking a string to tune. Most often G sharp, but when you watch the video below you will see it flicker between different notes.

I'd like to know if this is normal behaviour and yours is the same or I need to return it? I have tried it in every way I can.
1. Battery alone, guitar into tuner only
2. On Mains, guitar to tuner, tuner into front input on amp
3. On mains in FX loop chain, tuner first, Boss Chorus second and close loop returned.
4. Changed between output and bypass - same behaviour

For an example I uploaded a video to yourtube for you to see. If you confirm this is normal that's fine - but I have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhykDhho0QQ

Many thanks :)

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Boss TU-3 tuner help

Post by fernieite » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:15 am

No idea man, but someone here should know.
Welcome to the forum though! 😊
Last edited by fernieite on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 am

I know that G# tuner thing. Often it has to do with single coil pickups and the cycle hum they produce. If you combine two pickups (i.e. Stratocaster: toggle switch in position "2" or "4") this might reduce the problem. Also keep at least one of your fingers or a part of your hand on a muted string. This helps reducing the hum as well.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

iio58

Post by iio58 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 pm

Thank you. However I’m not using single coils. I have a Gibson Les Paul 60’s and a Schecter Reaper-6 FR S, so they are both humbuckers. Hmmmm 🤔