Here We Have: Boss DD2 and Current Version DD3 Demo Video

visserman

Here We Have: Boss DD2 and Current Version DD3 Demo Video

Post by visserman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 am

The idea of the video came out of me trying to show the differences between all the Boss DD pedals: I know it is often mentioned that they all sound the same. Most people here will agree the DD2 (And early DD3's) is different from the others, but the other ones all sound pretty much the same.
I have known for some time all DD's do have their own sound, but it is hard for it to show: The pedals need to be set at certain setting to hear what makes them sound different.

What I have discovered during the making of the videos (the one about the whole range will but up soon!) I did not know in full. It is playing more with them and trying all kinds of things when I noticed the four main points I mentioned in the video.

About two years ago I wanted to mod the DD6 and DD7 for more output, as I was using them in a large amp-and pedal set-up. The engineer told me there were no output issues as they both had plenty of output. I think the issue was related to how I was patching pedals together with various amps. Anyway things did get better after that.

I am always interesting in using pedals in a new way musically, as all the technical talk severs a purpose (at least for me): Using those pedals in a musical way. Well playing with 5 delays at a time is something I have not done much but it will open up other avenues you may not have thought about before......................

Okay back to this video: It is long, not done on purpose. Some of you may find it utterly boring and beyond the point. My main purpose was to show rather than tell. I do all the videos in one take, therefore do not know beforehand how long things will be. At some point with the pitch play I could not hear what I wanted to hear but carried on regardless, and at some point you can hear it loud and clear. I felt I needed all of that info before that particular point as it is so real. When you do this for yourself you will get this: Put pedal in certain setting and you may be:"Hell what is this? All sounds the same to my ears!" But when you carry on you will find what you are looking for!
Even though video is long I keep everyone engaged. It almost feels like I am doing this myself for the first time...................

When I started with the next video I used similar approach, but quickly started to stumble over my words, since the whole process is so long for 5 pedals. I then decided to focus on only one element and do more playing. You will get that video a bit later.
Okay hope you like it and try it for yourself. Yes you will need a few Boss DD's but most of us will have some.

Unfortunately I have not done any tests with 4 DD-2's I simply have only one. Will they all sound different? I doubt it. What you will get is component drift: Cannot set controls in same way and hope to get same sound. They will all vary a little.

Also only have heard one DD-3, it is one of my students since I do not own one. I was pleasantly surprised about the sound of the DD-3. It is the fullest and darkest sounding out of the whole range!
Without having heard the DD-8 my feeling is it will be very close to the DD-7, maybe a tad louder with slightly longer delay times. Interesting have that ability to switch of the repeat trail-off which none of the other pedals have. When would you need this feature? During recording sessions where you may want to mute the trail-off. N.B the DD-7 does have a VERY LONG trail-off which stays in signal chain for long, long time.................you may not always want that, so hence a little switch is useful.

Gosh long post, okay enough now, just have a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fE_am4bnc8