OD-2 vs SD-2

Ricey

OD-2 vs SD-2

Post by Ricey » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 pm

The OD-2 and SD-2 seem very similar. Both are dual mode overdrives that can be toggled between lower gain and higher gain settings and both the later OD-2r and the SD-2 have the ability to switch between modes via an external footswitch.

How do they compare tonally and circuit wise?

For reference, I already have both an MIJ and MIT SD-1, as well as a BD-2 an OD-3, and an OS-2.

Thanks in advance for any insights?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: OD-2 vs SD-2

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Oh, the sound of the SD-2 has been discussed a lot of times at the StompBoxZone. Here are two topics that I also rescued for my SBZ Archive:

https://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=2681
https://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=0199

The Lead mode od the SD-2 has nothing in common with the sound of the OD-2(R).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for those links Pepe!

Opinions on the SD-2 seem mixed? How about the OD-2 or OD-2r? Which of the three (SD-2, OD-2, or OD-2r) are generally considered the most desirable?

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:48 pm

I’ve got the OD-2r and the SD-2. I prefer the SD-2 personally. Love the Lead setting, although it’s more of a distortion than an overdrive imho.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:08 pm

The less desirable of those three is the OD-2. It doesn't feature the tons of headroom that the OD-2R provides. People with humbuckers have trouble to make it match with their clean volume. Active pickups are even worse. There were some complaints about that over at the StompBoxZone.

The OD-2R is my favourite BOSS overdrive as I have mentioned multiple times at the old forums. It is my go-to pedal if I want distortion for a synthesizer, organ or piano. I don't like the Tubescreamer in any incarnation, because it has the mid-hump that I find annoying. The OD-2R is a very linear sounding effect without a certain frequency emphasising. That's why I simply love it for the mentioned instruments. I used to use it as my main guitar overdrive as well for some years, but then I fortunately acquired a low priced KORG OVD-1 Overdrive that won my heart within seconds.* So I prefer the KORG over the OD-2R, but just for guitar only! Keyboard instruments and OD-2R are still my standard combination.

I haven't played the SD-2 too much in the last years. But I was going to do a demo video of this pedal soon. I really like it. It's a Marshall in a box. The Crunch channel is not everyone's favourite, but I like it a lot, especially with tamed eq values.

*My brother loves it to pieces as well, so I built a clone for him as well for Laurie who received it in our last Christmas pedal tour.

Joske Turbo
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by Joske Turbo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 pm

I've got both the SD-2 and OD-2, and they're both good pedals. On the SD-2 I prefer the Lead mode, which is really more of a distortion as BearBoy says. I don't like the Crunch as much, but keeping the tone dial low does indeed yield the most usable sounds, I agree with Pepe there. It also has a secret yellow/orange mode, which is actually a blend of the two channels. That's a cool sound too, but you can only get to it by using an expression pedal plugged into the remote jack. Someone discovered that back on Stompboxzone I believe, can't remember who, but great find!

That said, the OD-2, which I got recently, kicked the SD-2 off the board for now. I'm using a Fender with single coils and I haven't had any problems getting to unity gain, both at home and at band practice. Overall, I'd say I prefer the OD-2 as an overdrive (especially in Turbo mode), while the SD-2 is a great distortion. I also have a fuzz on the board so the OD-2 is more of a contrast, which is why I use that for now.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Joske Turbo: the yellow mode was presented in this thread (which I also archived)

Ricey: I forgot to mention that the OD-2R has a more recognisable volume boost when you switch to the Turbo Mode. I like it a lot.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Wow. I had completely forgotten about that hidden mode :shock:

I even posted about it in that thread Pepe linked :lol:

Will have to have a tinker tomorrow.

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm kinda partial to Marshall's, so it sounds like the SD-2 would be the one for me. Which mode does the "Marshall in a box" sound?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Both do in my opinion. I tried the SD-2 a few hours ago. I'm not familiar with the sound of all the classic Marshall amps, but the Lead mode definitely delivers a classic Marshall sound. Through my Marshall 50W tube amp it simply rocked. And I still really like the Crunch mode with gain at 03:00h and tone at 10:00h.