OD-2 vs SD-2

Ricey

Re: OD-2 vs SD-2

Post by Ricey » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:50 pm

Finally had an opportunity to put some time in on my SD-2 this weekend. Played through both my Fender AmDlx Stat with vintage output VN pups and a Fender Classic Player Jag HH with high output HBs into a dual channel all tube Randall Modular Tube System (MTS) amp loaded with a Plexi module and a Vox module. I have not yet tried it through my Les Paul or with any of my MTS Fender style modules. So far, I really like the SD-2! Possibly my favorite dirt pedal overall! I have a Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor that has been modded with LED clipping diodes and other tweaks to get it to sound fairly close to a vintage black box Gov'nor and the character of the SD-2 is similar to the modded GV-2 - probably owing to the LED clipping? The SD-2 has a bit more gain than the GV-2 in crunch mode and much more gain in Distortion mode. With the dual modes and a remote footswitch, the SD-2 has much greater flexibility than the GV-2.

I have the Plexi module on my amp set up for an AC/DC style crunch and can kick in the SD-2 crunch mode to add a bit more hair or use a remote footswitch to toggle over to the SD-2 Dist. mode for a nice EVH Brown sound-it basically gives me 3 different sounds available on one channel.

I am VERY pleased with the SD-2 so far and now contemplating picking up an OD-2r as well! Next up, I am going to switch out the GV-2 for my JB-2 Angry Driver for a comparison. I am guessing that the SD-2 Dist mode will be similar to the JB-2's Angry Charlie mode, but that the SD-2 OD mode will be quite different from the JB-2's Blues Driver mode.
Last edited by Ricey on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:00 pm

We told you that you would like the SD-2. I'm a die-hard OD-2R fan, so I'm pleased to see you go that route as well. 8-)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:52 pm

What what be a reasonable price for an OD-2r in decent shape with box and manual?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:03 am

Naked around $60-ish. With box and manual around $75, I think. At least that's the average price in Europe. This is what reverb says: https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/16 ... rive-1990s

Joske Turbo
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by Joske Turbo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Great that you like your SD-2! I was tinkering with my pedals today as I'm going to the studio soon to record an EP, so my tone needs to be really on point. I pulled the SD-2 off the shelf and love it in crunch mode as an always on sweetener with the gain way down. It's really quite transparent and livens up my tone in a good way, so might be worth a try for you other SD-2 users :) Might be worth noting that I'm using it with a Fender Cyclone into a Dynacord Twen (which is basically Dynacord's take on the Brownface Princeton).

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Yes, the Crunch mode can get totally clean with its own flavour, that's right. Good luck with the recordings!

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm
Wow. I had completely forgotten about that hidden mode :shock:

I even posted about it in that thread Pepe linked :lol:

Will have to have a tinker tomorrow.

Who would not eh? I use the SD-2 sometime in April, of course, did not dial in the "hidden" sound. How would I have remembered this sound eh?. Anyway, I think I made some notes about settings on how to get HiWatt sounds, since that is what I seemed to get. Will dig out those notes later for those details.

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Has anyone tried any of the Wampler mods on their SD-2? I have his Indyguitarist pedal mod book and I see he has a section on SD-2 mods.

Not sure I would want to mess too much with this pedal, because I really like it, but would be willing to try any reversible mods that have been generally recognized as "MUST haves".

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Finally scored a nice OD-2r on eBay. I set up notifications on Reverb and had a query set up on eBay and the best I could do for a boxed OD-2r in decent shape was $115 USD shipped, which was a little higher than I initially expected, but I have been following these for a few months and this was the best one I could find for a decent price. Lots of beat up or non-boxed units can be had cheaper and there were also a couple of mintish boxed units for mid $150's, but I did not want to spend that much. Unfortunately, no manual included in mine. Can't wait to try it out!
Last edited by Ricey on Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:48 am

Ricey wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Finally scored a nice OD-1r on eBay. I set up notifications on Reverb and had a query set up on eBay and the best I could do for a boxed OD-1r in decent shape was $115 USD shipped, which was a little higher than I initially expected, but I have been following these for a few months and this was the best one I could find for a decent price. Lots of beat up or non-boxed units can be had cheaper and there were also a couple of mintish boxed units for mid $150's, but I did not want to spend that much. Unfortunately, no manual included in mine. Can't wait to try it out!
Nice!
I have a MIJ OD-2, did a simple resistor bypass mod (R62?) to increase volume in turbo mode. With the volume cranked, it's unity volume with bypass mode--good enough for me. I use it as a stand alone drive for my cleaner amps and it sounds great. I keep my ear to the ground for a OD2r locally. May as well have it too. :D
The SD2 is on my short list. I have a bandmate with one and it's great sounding through any amp he uses.