Opinions on PH-3

SamXTherapy

Opinions on PH-3

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Specifically, how does it sound, compared to the PH-1r?

Is it quiet? I recently bought a TC Electronic Blood Moon, which is the noisiest pedal I've ever owned, and that includes a vintage Small Stone and Electric Mistress. And yes, I'm powering it correctly.

I don't mind digital pedals at all, provided they can do a decent job, that's fine. I'm just looking for a good phaser that will get me something like the old PH-r (but I'll hunt one of those down if I have to).

Just so you know, I absolutely cannot stand the voicing of MXR phasers; they make me feel nauseous. Yes, really.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Opinions on PH-3

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Actually I like the PH-3, but not as much as analogue phasers. The PH-3 has interesting modes, like Step, Up and Down. The latter two sound gorgeous with synth strings, but they are also quite hypnotic with guitar. I had a PH-1R and I compared it with the 4-stage mode of the PH-3. There is a huge difference. I think that the 10-stage and 12-stage modes come close to the modes of the PH-2.

As a synth player I'm satisfied with the possibilities of the PH-3. As a guitar player I find the classic modes a bit thin and sterile sounding.

Overall it's a good digital pedal (it's on the market for 20 years now, that makes it a vintage model in 2030!), but I'd rather like to see a PH-2W Waza Craft model with a three mode potentiometer switch for 4-, 10- and 12-stage phasing (all the PH-1R and PH-2 sounds in one chassis) and a small Waza Craft switch that enables the true PH-1 sound in the 4-stage mode*. And it should have an expression pedal input for speed control.

*Laurie and Natthu will agree on this, I'm sure. :)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:48 pm

*sigh* Oh well, PH-1r it is, then. :)

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:20 pm

It's a good pedal, despite the noticeable volume boost. I only sold it, because my favourite phasers are the KORG Mr. Multi and the KORG KPH-401. Here's my demo of the PH-1R:

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Yep, I like the sound of it a great deal. I should have bought one when they were in production. Beats me why I didn't.

As for the PH-3, how does the phaser on the GT-5 compare, tone wise? I know the PH-3 and the phaser on the GT-5 have different options but since they're both digital, how does the basic 4 stage compare? I rather like the 4 stage on the GT-5 and I could live with that in a pedal.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:32 pm

I havent tried them side by side but I think the GT-5's phaser is capable of more subtle tones than the PH-3. PH-3 sounds to me almost like its trying to be a leslie sim.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 pm
I'd rather like to see a PH-2W Waza Craft model with a three mode potentiometer switch for 4-, 10- and 12-stage phasing (all the PH-1R and PH-2 sounds in one chassis) and a small Waza Craft switch that enables the true PH-1 sound in the 4-stage mode*. And it should have an expression pedal input for speed control.
that would be such a great pedal!