OS-2 series or parallel?

Ricey

OS-2 series or parallel?

Post by Ricey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Does anyone know if the SD-1 and DS-1 like circuits in the OS-2 are wired in series, as if you were chaining separate pedals together with a patch cord, or are they wired parallel; e.g., like with the parallel mode on the JB-2 Angry Driver?

If in series, which one comes first-DS-1 or SD-1 circuit?

I really like the parallel mode on the JB-2. Is there any way to hook up discrete pedals in parallel; e.g., a type of loop switching pedal ? I would love to try that with a TS or Klone in parallel with a Rat, DS-1, Dist+, EH BM, or HM-3.

chromandre

Re: OS-2 series or parallel?

Post by chromandre » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:30 pm

parallel! It's a neat pedal it kinda gives you control of mids and dynamics... Also an point of interest the distortion bit of the OS-2 circuit resembles a RAT more than a DS-1

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:14 pm

The only real way to do pedals in parallel is to go through a buffer then have a splitter cable on on the output of the buffer goign to the parallel pedals, and a small line mixer on the output of the parallel pedals to mix the outputs together.

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:07 pm

I did not know that the OS-2 was similar to a Rat-most people write about it being a DS-1 circuit? Are the DS-1 and Rat circuits similar to begin with or did Boss just go with something completely different for the OS-2? Does Boss make a dedicated distortion pedal similar to the Rat?

Too bad about all the hoops one would have to jump through to run pedals in parallel!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 pm

At the StompBoxZone forum was a full thread about the RATiness of the OS-2. No, it doesn't share a lot with the DS-1. The tone is pretty close to a RAT if you turn the OD/DS knob to 02:00 h.

This is the SBZ thread and the posting that I had in mind: https://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/view ... =20#p28824

Don't wonder if you cannot see all the postings in the thread anymore. You can only see some postings if you click the "Quote" button (login required). I'm currently working on saving the most interesting threads as Word documents which will be converted to PDF and then uploaded to my webspace. So some of the useful information won't get lost forever.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Goran

Post by Goran » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 pm
I'm currently working on saving the most interesting threads as Word documents which will be converted to PDF and then uploaded to my webspace. So some of the useful information won't get lost forever.
That is a great idea!!!! :D

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:47 pm

So, is the OD side even an SD-1 circuit?

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Ricey wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:47 pm
So, is the OD side even an SD-1 circuit?
yes but with an even boxier midrange, fits right into the mid scoop of the distortion side!