Have Boss changed the underside of compact pedals?

SamXTherapy

Have Boss changed the underside of compact pedals?

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Almost certain I saw a photo recently, showing a slight redesign of the rubber grip. Anyone have any photos confirming this? A Google search didn't find anything useful.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Have Boss changed the underside of compact pedals?

Post by Pepe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Very interesting question. I just searched for one of the latest compact pedal that BOSS has published, the SY-1, and found this:

Well, I don't really think it is optically appealing, but maybe this design is made so that people can now put velcro on the bottom without removing the rubber.

And did you see? "Made in Malaysia"! I don't know what to think of that. I'm not too familiar with the politics in that part of our globe, but did BOSS do this move to avoid complications with China and the endless discussions concerning the political status of Taiwan? Or is it simply cheaper to produce pedals in Malaysia? I tend towards the latter assumption.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

SamXTherapy

Re: Have Boss changed the underside of compact pedals?

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Thank you for the reply. The visual appeal - or lack thereof - doesn't bother me so much, since I don't look at the bases. :)

I guess it's a way of addressing the old velcro problem, although I wish they'd supply the base rubber as a separate option, leaving the base plate blank, or provide a spare blank plate. I know there are replacements available but they're pretty expensive for what they are. I'm going to see if a local fabrication guy can make some for me, just to compare prices. I'd make 'em myself if I still had the tools.

I read somewhere - maybe Wikipedia - that Boss had moved production but no idea why. Your suggestion seems likely, though.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum